I have my Calc II final in 30 minutes

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary: Although I'm still not sure how to exactly solve for f^(8)(0) haha.In summary, the test went well, but there were some problems that he couldn't figure out. He is almost done with the course though!
QuarkCharmer
I needed to take a break from studying, and nobody was in PF chat to listen to my complaining! I need at least a 65 to keep an A. I don't know why I am so worried about it. Granted, I am out of practice on some of the earlier topics. Anyway, this course is sort of a milestone for me, because a little over a year ago I knew basically 0 mathematics, and I was told that Calculus II was probably the most difficult of the typical selection of courses (calc/deq). At least in (hopefully) passing this course with an A, I will assure myself that I am at the very least capable of higher mathematics. What's the next course that shares a similar "milestone" status? I'm told Analysis.

Anyway, wish me luck, and sorry for creating a pointless rant thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck quark!

I'm sure you will end up with a great score! You might have to prove yourself to you, but I already think that you're great at mathematics!

Keep us posted on how you did!

Other milestone coures should probably be abstract algebra and real analysis. Not hard once you know it, but it can be brutal for newbies.

Have a great test!

QuarkCharmer said:
I needed to take a break from studying, and nobody was in PF chat to listen to my complaining! I need at least a 65 to keep an A. I don't know why I am so worried about it. Granted, I am out of practice on some of the earlier topics. Anyway, this course is sort of a milestone for me, because a little over a year ago I knew basically 0 mathematics, and I was told that Calculus II was probably the most difficult of the typical selection of courses (calc/deq). At least in (hopefully) passing this course with an A, I will assure myself that I am at the very least capable of higher mathematics. What's the next course that shares a similar "milestone" status? I'm told Analysis.

Anyway, wish me luck, and sorry for creating a pointless rant thread.

Good luck!

Don't forget the arbitrary constant on those indefinite integrals! They get me every time. :grumpy:

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/11970/12258100.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/11970/12258100.jpg

Oh micro...you crack me up!

Best of luck, QC, it's almost over!

:rofl:

Killing me here. Too funny.

Hey OP, how did the test go?!

Well, I took it alright. There were two problems that I think I messed up something on, but overall, I think I probably scored around a 90. He's good about posting grades the next day if not the same night, so I'll know real soon.

The one that I just couldn't figure out asked me to list the first 4 terms in a Maclaurin Series representation of a function, and then use the Series as a whole to estimate an definite integral.

I believe it was:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}cos(x^{2})dx[/tex]

So, I recalled that:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{(2n)!} = cos(x)[/tex]
and so, the representation was:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{4n}}{(2n)!} = cos(x)[/tex]
I used that Series, to list out the first 4 terms (for n:0,1,2,3).

I then put that series in place of the above integral, and the result was some series with 4n+1 and (2n!) in the denominator, that I couldn't quite manipulate to make it look like a known series. I was thinking it would come out to be geometric, well, sort of, it was alternating, so I tried using the alternating series test, but I couldn't figure out how to estimate it's value considering there was no error given to me. I know that:
[tex]|e| = |S-S_{n}| <= b_{n+1}[/tex]
but again, no given error?

After that, they wanted me to find the 8th derivative of cos(x^2) evaluated at zero. There were 2 homework problems we did along time ago like this, but it wasn't coming back to me, this whole problem was a nightmare. I tried setting my series for cos(x^2) equal to the definition of the maclaurin series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{4n}}{(2n)!} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(8)}(0)x^{8}}{8!}[/tex]

and then I set 4n = 8, to find the n for the left side (n=2). I put all n's on the left to 2, and did the math to solve for f^(8)(0) but I got some insane number in the hundreds that just did not seem right. So who knows...

Only my physics final to go!

Last edited:
IMO, differential equations and quantum physics are the next "milestones", but it depends on your career path.

Update:
vdmkc5.jpg

!:!)

Congratulations! Well done.

Next time - do better. :biggrin:

Niiiiiiiice :biggrin:

You have defeated Calculus II, but a new opponent awaits :tongue2:

QuarkCharmer said:
Update:
vdmkc5.jpg

!:!)

I seem to remember a previous post by you (around mid-terms) where you were scoring higher on your assignments. I know it's the end of the semester, but that's no excuse for slacking-off, mmkay?

Dembadon said:
I seem to remember a previous post by you (around mid-terms) where you were scoring higher on your assignments. I know it's the end of the semester, but that's no excuse for slacking-off, mmkay?

Oh yeah, that test I got a 115 on. I went into PF chat and asked micromass to look it over, because I thought it was really difficult considering the time they gave. Turns out, most people didn't finish it, and I just barely finished it. Due to the professors shortsight on timing, it was curved up 15 points.

I have no idea where the ~7 points came from on this one. I think it's from various one point extra credit things throughout the semester.

Astronuc said:
Congratulations! Well done.

Next time - do better. :biggrin:

Yeah, better than the 107%. Slacker! :smile:

OK, now that you passed Calc II, we have to tell you something. It is something that is only known to people that passed Calc II. It is a secret but important knowledge. You are expected to keep this a secret for people not passing Calc II.

Here it is:

micromass said:
OK, now that you passed Calc II, we have to tell you something. It is something that is only known to people that passed Calc II. It is a secret but important knowledge. You are expected to keep this a secret for people not passing Calc II.

Here it is:

http://achtungtshirt.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/danger-sign-rickroll-rick-astley-funny-black-tee-shirt.jpg?w=450 [Broken]

berkeman said:
Yeah, better than the 107%. Slacker! :smile:
Yeah - we were expecting 110%! :rofl:

Geez, now I am going to have to wear sunglasses every time QC is in chat.

Rhody... :tongue:

1. What topics should I focus on for the Calc II final?

The Calc II final will cover topics such as integration techniques, applications of integration, and series. It is important to review these topics thoroughly and practice solving problems to ensure a good understanding.

2. How can I prepare for the Calc II final in just 30 minutes?

In a short amount of time, it is important to focus on key concepts and problem-solving strategies. Reviewing notes, practice problems, and previous exams can help to reinforce these concepts and improve problem-solving skills.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid during the Calc II final?

Common mistakes to avoid during the Calc II final include not showing enough work, not checking for algebraic errors, and not understanding the problem before attempting to solve it. It is important to take the time to carefully read and understand each problem before solving it.

4. How can I manage my time effectively during the Calc II final?

It is important to manage your time wisely during the Calc II final to ensure you have enough time to complete each problem. Start with the problems you feel most confident in and then move on to more challenging ones. Don't spend too much time on one problem, and make sure to leave enough time to review your work.

5. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem during the Calc II final?

If you get stuck on a problem during the Calc II final, take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Review any relevant notes or examples, and try to approach the problem from a different angle. If you are still struggling, it is okay to skip the problem and come back to it later. Just make sure to leave enough time at the end to revisit any skipped problems.