I just cut myself and I'm bleeding profusely

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary, Tribdog cuts himself with a golf ball and although he heals quickly, he is worried about getting infected. He recommends that people do not try this at home and motai suggests that the liquid in the golf ball might affect the trajectory.
When I was a little kid, my mother peeled a golf ball to show me the inside. Then she set it on the floor and it skittered around in random directions for several minutes as the elastic band unwound in little spurts. The cat loved it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
When I was a little kid, my mother peeled a golf ball to show me the inside. Then she set it on the floor and it skittered around in random directions for several minutes as the elastic band unwound in little spurts. The cat loved it.
The golf balls that I've seen opened didn't unwind on their own. :frown:

Maybe you didn't give them enough time. The elastic in mine was stretched just short of the breaking point, and wound extremely tightly. It tended to stick to itself, or between strands in the next layer, or something like that, so about an inch or so would pop out at a time. It ended up about the size and shape of a robin's nest, all tangled up. (This is just to the best of my recollection though; it was over 40 years ago.)

trib was telling me something about how he'd cut a band and then the whole thing would wriggle like a ball of worms.

as a second note, my dorm room is all lonely. its depressing.

cronxeh said:
I honestly don't see the physics in this. I mean the momentum is conserved.. so the only thing center of mass shifted ball would have is not even air resistance due to shape change.. I mean how does the liquid actually affect the trajectory?
I think it does. Rubber can dry out, it can shrink (sort of), stuff, yoe know? Liquid doesn't do all those things. In fact, at schooled I learned once it isn't even possible to compress liquids. I now know of course that's rubbish, but they did learn me that. It's quite wonderful to have a critical look at schools. In my first year, i was told some things about levers, and the year after at physics i was told that was all rubbish. *i love school, it's so reasonable*.

Evo said:
The golf balls that I've seen opened didn't unwind on their own. :frown:
The ones I've seen didn't open on their own. :smile: