Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have some balls that have not been opened

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1

Mk

I have a golf ball that I want to cut open. How do I go about doing this? Just use a knife? I don't want to cut my finger open! What do I do!?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2
    Don't do anything.

Hey look at the google ads! "Golf equipment", "Distance golf balls", "Golf balls - huge range".

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3

Mk

I just see balls all over my screen.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  5. Jan 29, 2006 #4
    I think Tribdog might be able to help you out with this.

6. Jan 29, 2006 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Put the golf ball in a vise and then use a saw to cut it.

7. Jan 29, 2006 #6

Mk

What if I don't have a vise? Or a saw?

8. Jan 29, 2006 #7
    You're not going to cut it without some type of saw.

9. Jan 29, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Then don't do it. You need a vise. Ok, don't do it. trib can send you one already cut open.

10. Jan 29, 2006 #9

Mk

I'll try and open it with my sander.

11. Jan 29, 2006 #10

Mk

Mhmm, I see.

12. Jan 29, 2006 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

NOOOOOO.

I believe there may be some pressure built up, or maybe that was the old balls, but YOU COULD PUT AN EYE OUT. DON'T DO IT.

13. Jan 29, 2006 #12

Mk

I was just kidding. I don't even have a sander.

14. Jan 30, 2006 #13
    There's no built-in pressure. I've split a couple with the mere use of my miserable swing. The core of the last one I split this way is a hard composite, and this particular one was was pink. Thirty years ago some balls were made of what looks like rubber bands at maximum stretch and all coiled up tightly. I don't think they do this anymore, it's too time consuming and new composites just work better. Use a sharp knife to cut through the outer casing and you will find a solid core. Come back and tell us what color.

15. Jan 30, 2006 #14

Mk

Somebody I talked to said when he was a kid he would cut open golf balls with a knife. There was some sort of rubber band ball inside, and he would unwind it, and put it across the road. Sometimes there was some kind of resin jelly inside.

16. Jan 30, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I cut golf balls open as child. Yes, it had an elastic band inside, which unravelled rather amusingly and animatedly. Today, I'm sure they're made differently.

Do not attempt to cut it with your hands and a knife, you will surely lose a digit. Go to freinds or family who have a hacksaw and vise.

17. Feb 1, 2006 #16
    Can he at least play with his balls until he needs glasses? :tongue:

18. Feb 2, 2006 #17

Mk

He said he used a pocket knife and made very shallow cuts so as not to cut the rubber bands. He still has all 20 digits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?