I have some balls that have not been opened

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, it is not recommended to open a golf ball with a knife as it can result in injury. It is suggested to use a vise and a saw to safely open the golf ball. There may be pressure built up inside the golf ball, so caution is advised. Alternatively, one can ask someone else to open the golf ball for them. Opening a golf ball with a knife can also result in losing a digit. Some people have successfully opened golf balls as children, but it is not recommended.
Mk
I have a golf ball that I want to cut open. How do I go about doing this? Just use a knife? I don't want to cut my finger open! What do I do!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't do anything.Hey look at the google ads! "Golf equipment", "Distance golf balls", "Golf balls - huge range".

I just see balls all over my screen.

Last edited:
I think Tribdog might be able to help you out with this.

Put the golf ball in a vise and then use a saw to cut it.

What if I don't have a vise? Or a saw?

You're not going to cut it without some type of saw.

Mk said:
What if I don't have a vise? Or a saw?
Then don't do it. You need a vise. Ok, don't do it. trib can send you one already cut open.

I'll try and open it with my sander.

Mk said:
Balls all over my screen
TheStatuaryApe said:
I think Tribdog might be able to help you out.
Mhmm, I see.

Mk said:
I'll try and open it with my sander.
NOOOOOO.

I believe there may be some pressure built up, or maybe that was the old balls, but YOU COULD PUT AN EYE OUT. DON'T DO IT.

I was just kidding. I don't even have a sander.

There's no built-in pressure. I've split a couple with the mere use of my miserable swing. The core of the last one I split this way is a hard composite, and this particular one was was pink. Thirty years ago some balls were made of what looks like rubber bands at maximum stretch and all coiled up tightly. I don't think they do this anymore, it's too time consuming and new composites just work better. Use a sharp knife to cut through the outer casing and you will find a solid core. Come back and tell us what color.

Somebody I talked to said when he was a kid he would cut open golf balls with a knife. There was some sort of rubber band ball inside, and he would unwind it, and put it across the road. Sometimes there was some kind of resin jelly inside.

Mk said:
Somebody I talked to said when he was a kid he would cut open golf balls with a knife. There was some sort of rubber band ball inside, and he would unwind it, and put it across the road. Sometimes there was some kind of resin jelly inside.
I cut golf balls open as child. Yes, it had an elastic band inside, which unravelled rather amusingly and animatedly. Today, I'm sure they're made differently.

Do not attempt to cut it with your hands and a knife, you will surely lose a digit. Go to freinds or family who have a hacksaw and vise.

Evo said:
NOOOOOO.

I believe there may be some pressure built up, or maybe that was the old balls, but YOU COULD PUT AN EYE OUT. DON'T DO IT.
Can he at least play with his balls until he needs glasses? :tongue:

He said he used a pocket knife and made very shallow cuts so as not to cut the rubber bands. He still has all 20 digits.

What do you mean by "balls" in this context?

In this context, "balls" refers to spherical objects that have not been opened yet. These could be sports balls, toy balls, or any other spherical objects that come in a package or container.

Why have the balls not been opened?

There could be various reasons for the balls not being opened. It could be because they were recently purchased, they were kept as a collectible item, or they were forgotten about. It is also possible that the person who owns the balls is waiting for a specific occasion to open them.

What is the significance of these unopened balls?

The significance of these unopened balls depends on the individual who owns them. For some, it could hold sentimental value, while for others, it could be a valuable or rare item that they are preserving. In some cases, the balls may have been signed or autographed, making them more valuable to the owner.

Can you tell me more about the balls without opening them?

Without opening the balls, it is difficult to provide specific information about them. However, by observing the packaging and any labels or markings on the balls, it may be possible to identify the brand, size, or type of balls they are. It is also possible to make assumptions about the contents based on the weight, shape, and material of the balls.

Is there any concern about the balls being unopened for a long time?

Generally, there is no concern about balls being unopened for a long time, as long as they are stored in a cool, dry place. However, if the balls are made of a material that can deteriorate over time, such as rubber or foam, they may lose their quality or functionality. It is always recommended to check the expiration date or any instructions on the packaging before using the balls.