Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just paid £70 to fill the car with fuel.

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, £70. For you yanks that's about $140. And it's only a moderate saloon car.

Grrrrrr. Time to start shopping for biodiesel.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I spent a similar amount for my mothers Renault Clio. Its insane.

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

You guys got it rough. I paid $3.57/gal to fill my wife's Subaru today and that really pinched. I had to drive about 180 miles today and hoped to run into some lower gas prices in the southern part of the state. No such luck.:grumpy:

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Regular (87 Oct) is $3.73-3.75/gal in our area. It seems that the price increases ~$0.04-0.05 every other day. It will probably reach $4.00 by Memorial day. It would cost me nearly $50.00 to fill up now. Fortunately, I don't drive very much.

6. Apr 28, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

7. Apr 28, 2008 #6
    Fortunately, since in my country more than 50% of the population are poor, the government supports gas prices and as crazy as it sounds, gas prices don't go up in here at all...its about 1.30 LE per litre and given that 1$ ~ 5.5LE that means that you can get about 5 litres with one dollar.

8. Apr 28, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

9. Apr 28, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Errrm, Well, in the UK there are cheaper alternatives for fuel, may be not totally in line with government thinking, and one would have to be a bit Jessie James.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  10. Apr 28, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's also this http://marineturbine.com/motorcycles.asp, perhaps not as fuel efficent but it also runs on diesel.

The crazy thing is you still can't buy small cars here!
    The smallest VW is a 2.5L engine Golf that does about 20/28 MPG, apparently the 99mpg Lupo diesel doesn't meet US satandards.

11. Apr 28, 2008 #10
    Why is gas so expensive? They are finding more and more reserves all the time.

They found some in Iraq not too long ago, and a bunch more is in Alaska too. Drill it up!

12. Apr 28, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

One of our major refineries just closed through strike action, some are finding it tough to find petrol.

13. Apr 28, 2008 #12
    Whats a strike have to do with finding crude oil?

14. Apr 28, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

15. Apr 28, 2008 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It has to do with producing - not finding.

Production keeps getting interrupted in Nigeria, North Sea, etc. Some folks fired on a Japanese tanker near the Persian Gulf.

Besides there are all those middle men who need to collect their money for doing nothing but buying and selling on speculation. It's called the commodities market.

16. Apr 28, 2008 #15
    I just paid 65 bucks to fill my car which still had an eighth of a tank left :( Won't be able to afford to drive before long! Good think I walk/bike everywhere I can, and only drive when I have to. Gas is $1.25 per litre :( and they are talking it might hit a buck 40 in a few weeks.

17. Apr 28, 2008 #16

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People in China and India are buying cars. So while there there is still oil the demand has increased dramatically over the past few years.
    Moreover, oil-producing countries are not interested in selling as much oil as possible. They know that they have a limited supply and it would be stupid of them to sell it all now, especially since they know that the price will continue to rise.

18. Apr 28, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I've put my Softail (45 mpg) up for sale for $12,500 and hope to get out of paying high excise taxes every year at registration, and high insurance. Since I don't have many riding buddies left, I think I'll buy a used Buell Blast (70 mpg) for about $2000 and save some bucks and have a light little thumper to zoom around on. The color of these bikes is molded into the plastic, so lots of gravel/sand damage and scratches can be buffed out and I won't mind taking it on gravel roads.

19. Apr 28, 2008 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can buy a scooter. Get a 50cc model and you can get 90-110mpg!

20. Apr 28, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We may all be riding those soon. It would be ideal for my commute (and just take out the car for bad weather days) since it's a bikeable distance, but not bikeable roads. Do those things coast downhill (half my trip is downhill :biggrin:).

21. Apr 28, 2008 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Downhills are useful since modern petrol engines use no fuel if you coast in gear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?