I just want your guys opinion on my idea against E=mc

In summary, the speaker had an idea about using a laser near a black hole to test the forces of gravity and photons. They question whether the photons would remain still or get pulled into the black hole, which goes against Einstein's theory of relativity. They also mention being 14 and from the Netherlands. However, they are advised to start with basic physics before studying general relativity.
siebe22
so i had this idea for a while now,
if you would take a black hole, and put a laser next to the event horizon, facing away from the black hole, the gravity from the black hole would pull the photons in right? I was thinking that the force that it takes must be bigger than the power from the photons which are trying to get away, right? My question is if the photons would remain still, or get pulled into the black hole, which is against Einsteins E=mc2, cause the photons would exceed the speed of light right?

p.s. Pleaso no hate on my bad english, i am just 14 and from the Dutch, so yeah

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi siebe22, welcome to PF. Your English is great, you don't need to worry about that at all. However, your understanding of black holes is all wrong.

I would strongly recommend that you start with standard Newtonian physics before jumping into general relativity. This is a great place to help learn, but we can't miraculously help you skip all of the basics and jump right into advanced physics.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is your idea against the equation E=mc²?

My idea is that E=mc² is a simplified version of the actual equation, which is more accurately expressed as E²=(mc²)²+(pc)². This expanded equation takes into account the momentum (p) of an object, which is often ignored in the simplified version.

2. How does your idea differ from the traditional understanding of E=mc²?

My idea takes into account the momentum of an object, which is often ignored in the simplified version of E=mc². This allows for a more accurate calculation of the energy of an object.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate your idea?

Sure. Let's say we have two objects with the same mass (m), but one is stationary and the other is moving at a high speed. According to the traditional understanding of E=mc², both objects would have the same amount of energy (E=mc²). However, using the expanded equation, we can calculate the energy of the moving object to be greater due to its momentum (E²=(mc²)²+(pc)²).

4. How does your idea impact our understanding of energy and mass?

My idea expands upon the traditional understanding of energy and mass by incorporating the momentum of an object. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the energy of an object and can lead to a deeper understanding of the relationship between energy and mass.

5. Do you have any evidence to support your idea?

While my idea is still theoretical, there have been experiments conducted that support the expanded equation of E²=(mc²)²+(pc)². One famous example is the observation of the mass-energy equivalence in nuclear reactions, where the mass of the products is less than the mass of the reactants. This supports the idea that energy is not solely dependent on mass, but also on momentum.