Black Holes: Questions on Event Horizon Observer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objects crossing the event horizon of a black hole from an external observer's perspective. It is determined that the object appears to become stationary and eventually disappear due to the red-shifted wavelength of emitted photons. It is also noted that this does not necessarily mean the object has not crossed the event horizon. Additionally, it is mentioned that there are other defined moments related to this scenario.
kent davidge
I have a doubt about black holes. (I'm sorrying for my poor English.):

1 - Does an observer outside a black hole see forever (i.e. his lifetime) a object stationary when it reaches the event horizon?

2 - Or photons emitted by the object have its wavelength so red-shifted that the observer essentially dont see the object anymore after an amount of time?

If (2) is the correct one, then why one say that objects never crosses the event horizon (from our pespective)? They might have crossed it but its photons are undetectable, because its too long wavelength. Obviously, that justification would be made taking no care about the other things we know from the theory. But just because we are not detecting photons from the object is not enough to decide if it has entered the black hole or not.

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I have a doubt about black holes. (I'm sorrying for my poor English.):

1 - Does an observer outside a black hole see forever (i.e. his lifetime) a object stationary when it reaches the event horizon?
Not quite but as close to stationary as to not be observably different as it shifts into invisibility.

2 - Or photons emitted by the object have its wavelength so red-shifted that the observer essentially dont see the object anymore after an amount of time?
Yes, exactly

If (2) is the correct one, then why one say that objects never crosses the event horizon (from our pespective)? They might have crossed it but its photons are undetectable, because its too long wavelength. Obviously, that justification would be made taking no care about the other things we know from the theory. But just because we are not detecting photons from the object is not enough to decide if it has entered the black hole or not.
The apparent speed of the object approaches zero as it approaches the EH so from the outside observer's point of view, it does not cross the EH.

Likes kent davidge
phinds said:
The apparent speed of the object approaches zero as it approaches the EH
Thanks for replying. But yet the object disappear to the observer after some amount of time, right?

Last edited:
kent davidge said:
If (2) is the correct one, then why one say that objects never crosses the event horizon (from our perspective)?
#2 is indeed correct, and that claim about objects never crossing the event horizon from our perspective is pretty much wrong - you won't find it in any serious GR textbook.

It is correct to say that every event on the worldine of an external observer has a Schwarzschild ##t## coordinate equal to the ##t## coordinate of an event on the infalling object's worldline but still outside of the event horizon. That tells us a lot about Schwarzschild coordinates, but not much about anything else.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
But yet the object disappear to the observer after some amount of time, right?
Right. A rather short amount of time too.

There are also two other unambiguously defined moments, and both of these happen fairly quickly:
1) The last moment that I, the outside observer, can send a message to the infaller and be able to get a reply indicating that the message was received.
2) The last moment that I can send a message that will be received by the infaller before they die at the central singularity.

Likes stoomart and kent davidge
Thank you very much Nugatory.

Related to Black Holes: Questions on Event Horizon Observer

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How is the event horizon of a black hole defined?

The event horizon of a black hole is defined as the point of no return, where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape. It is also known as the "point of last contact" as anything that crosses the event horizon is inevitably pulled into the black hole.

3. Can we see a black hole?

No, we cannot see a black hole directly as light cannot escape from it. However, we can observe the effects of a black hole on its surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the strong gravitational pull on nearby objects.

4. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and collapses in on itself due to its own gravity. The collapse creates a singularity, a point of infinite density, and results in the formation of a black hole.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. This includes light, matter, and even information. However, some theoretical models suggest that particles can escape from a black hole through quantum effects, but this has not been proven yet.