I know I got this wrong it was on my final

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework statement about an odd function and its corresponding integral. The question asks if the statement is true or false, and if false, to provide a counterexample. One person attempts to solve it, but realizes their proof is incorrect and checks the textbook for a different method. Another person suggests a possible counterexample using the function f(x) = 1/x. Further discussion ensues about the possibility of the function being continuous and the impact on the statement's validity. Finally, one person reflects on their chances of receiving extra credit promised by the professor.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I will try to word it the best I can...

True or False? If True explain why. If False, provide a counterexample to explain why it is wrong, DO NOT CORRECT THE STATEMENT

Suppose f(x) is an odd function and then [tex]\int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is true, I wrote down, but my proof was wrong...I think. I checked the textbook and they did it differently. My textbook splited the integral from -a to 0 and 0 to a and did a substitution.

Here is how I did it

Let f(x) be odd

[tex]f(-x) = -f(x)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-a}^{a} f(-x) dx = \int_{-a}^{a} -f(x) dx[/tex]

By the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

[tex]F(-a) - F(+a) = -\left [ F(a)- F(-a)) \right ] [/tex]

[tex]F(-a) - F(+a) = -F(a) + F(-a)) [/tex]

[tex]F(-a) - F(+a) = F(-a) - F(a) [/tex]

[tex]0 = 0[/tex]

Did I "prove" anything...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the statement you were to explain (it didn't say to prove) or find a counterexample for was
If f(x) is odd, then
[tex]\int_{-a}^a f(x) dx = 0[/tex]

Consider f(x) = 1/x and the interval [-1, 1].

f is an odd function, but is [tex]\int_{-1}^1 \frac{dx}{x} = 0 \text{?}[/tex]

The integral diverges...

Perhaps the word "continuous" was thrown in there and I forgot to add it to this question.

Mark, I don't think even the TA would've realized it lol. The TAs at my university are all pretty dumb, except for one guy, but he's a grad student

flyingpig said:
The integral diverges...

Perhaps the word "continuous" was thrown in there and I forgot to add it to this question.

Mark, I don't think even the TA would've realized it lol. The TAs at my university are all pretty dumb, except for one guy, but he's a grad student

What do mean by diverges? And based on what Mark proposed, then the statement would be false, right?

romsofia said:
What do mean by diverges? And based on what Mark proposed, then the statement would be false, right?

Only if it is discontinuous. I think the function f(x) was said to be continuous, which is something I forgot to put down...

That or it never had the word "continuous". Either way, I am wrong lol. There goes my 100%...

A lot hinges on whether the function was given to be continuous. If there was nothing stated, you can't assume that it is continuous.

Also, with regard your proof, concluding that 0 = 0 (or any other statement that is always true - a tautology) is not what you want to do.

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

I will try to word it the best I can...

True or False? If True explain why. If False, provide a counterexample to explain why it is wrong, DO NOT CORRECT THE STATEMENT

Suppose f(x) is an odd function and then [tex]\int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is true, I wrote down, but my proof was wrong...I think. I checked the textbook and they did it differently. My textbook splited the integral from -a to 0 and 0 to a and did a substitution.

Here is how I did it

Let f(x) be odd

[tex]f(-x) = -f(x)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-a}^{a} f(-x) dx = \int_{-a}^{a} -f(x) dx[/tex]

By the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

[tex]F(-a) - F(+a) = -\left [ F(a)- F(-a)) \right ] [/tex]

[tex]F(-a) - F(+a) = -F(a) + F(-a)) [/tex]

[tex]F(-a) - F(+a) = F(-a) - F(a) [/tex]

[tex]0 = 0[/tex]

Did I "prove" anything...?

Yes. You proved that if f is odd, then 0 = 0.:rolleyes:

LCKurtz said:
Yes. You proved that if f is odd, then 0 = 0.:rolleyes:
flyingpig could just as well have proved that if 1 = 2, then 0 = 0, which is another true statement.

Our professor promised a few students (I, included) that if we score extremely well (I am guessing he hinted 100%, because the few students who were "nominated" were getting like 99.x% lol), he will just give the free 1%.

There goes my chance...

At least it's over 90%...

1. Why did I get this question wrong on my final?

There could be a number of reasons why you got this question wrong on your final. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, a mistake in your calculations, or simply a misinterpretation of the question. It is important to review the material and practice similar questions to avoid making the same mistake in the future.

2. Can I get points for showing my work on this question?

Typically, showing your work will not earn you any points if your final answer is incorrect. However, some professors may give partial credit for showing effort and understanding of the problem. It is always best to show your work, as it can help you and your professor understand where you may have gone wrong.

3. Can I retake the final to improve my grade?

Most schools have policies in place that do not allow students to retake final exams. However, if you believe there were extenuating circumstances that affected your performance on the final, you can speak to your professor or academic advisor about possible options for retaking the exam.

4. Will this wrong answer significantly affect my final grade?

It depends on the weight of the question and the grading scale for the course. If this is a minor question and you did well on the rest of the exam, it may not have a significant impact on your final grade. However, if it is a major question and your overall grade was borderline, it could potentially affect your final grade. It is best to speak with your professor to get a better understanding of how your grade may be affected.

5. Is there any way to fix this mistake after the final?

Unfortunately, once a final exam has been graded and returned, it is usually not possible to change any incorrect answers. However, it is always a good idea to review your exams and speak with your professor to understand where you went wrong and how you can improve in the future.