I made liquid oxygen today. I think

In summary: This is because liquid oxygen has a higher density than liquid nitrogen and so the drop hangs in the gap like a weightless balloon.
flatmaster
Went to visit a Jr. High today to make liquid nitrogen ice cream.
One way is to drop the ice cream mix into the nitrogen.

I think we actually made some liquid oxygen accidentally. After doing the dots, we strain the nitrogen through a sieve to catch the ice cream and store the excess in a dewar. We didn't have it today, so it went into a stainless steel bowl. The bowl was cold enough that any liquid condensation froze even near the top of the bowl. near the coldest outer portion of the bowl, we had what we believe was blue liquid oxygen conencing on the outside and dripping off.

My question is how concentrated is this liquid oxygen? I know there is atmospheric nitrogen condensing there as well, but the boiling point of oxygen is about 12 degrees warmer than that of nitrogen.

I also saw a neat affect where the droplets were splashing. I must have been in the exact position for a flattened droplet to reflect a light on the ceiling. I saw transient, circular flashes of light where the droplets were hitting and flattening out a bit before the surface tension pulled the droplet back to a more spherical shape.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unlikely to get LOX condensing on the outside of the bowl from the air.
In theory you can get O2 forming on the surface in an LN2 tank it's one of the things the safety people got worried about and banned open our dewers but I never heard of it actually happening.

You can certainly "make" liquid oxygen when using liquid nitrogen, or even better liquid helium.

Most of you will have seen someone demonstrate superconductivity using a high-temperature superconductor (usually YBCO). Droplets of liquid oxygen will often condense on the surface of the superconductor and sometimes they accumulate into a bigger drop hanging in the gap between the magnet and the YBCO, the oxygen is slightly blueish.

1. What is liquid oxygen?

Liquid oxygen is a form of oxygen that has been cooled to a temperature below -183 degrees Celsius, at which point it becomes a liquid state instead of a gas. This makes it much denser and more convenient for storage and transportation.

2. How is liquid oxygen made?

Liquid oxygen is made by compressing and cooling oxygen gas until it reaches its boiling point of -183 degrees Celsius. This causes it to condense into a liquid state. It can also be produced through fractional distillation, which separates the different components of air.

3. What is liquid oxygen used for?

Liquid oxygen has many practical uses, such as in rocket fuel for space exploration, in medical applications for respiratory therapy, and in industrial processes like steelmaking and water treatment. It can also be used as an oxidizer in combustion engines.

4. Is liquid oxygen dangerous?

Liquid oxygen can be dangerous if mishandled or if it comes into contact with flammable materials. It is highly reactive and can cause materials to ignite or explode. However, when handled properly, it is relatively safe and non-toxic.

5. How long does liquid oxygen last?

The shelf life of liquid oxygen depends on how it is stored and handled. If kept in a well-insulated container, it can last for several months. However, if exposed to heat or sunlight, it can rapidly evaporate and lose its effectiveness. It is best to use liquid oxygen within a few weeks of production.