I must normalize this to solve for the normalization constant

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Void123
Messages
138
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A hydrogen atom given the following state:

[tex]\psi (r, 0) = A\psi_{100}(r) + (\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}})\psi_{311}(r) + (\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})\psi_{422}(r)[/tex]

I must normalize this to solve for the normalization constant [tex]A[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Is it just me or does the integral turn out to be as hellish as it seems? Am I supposed to integrate the whole expression or just the first term?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You must integrate the whole expression, since the normalization condition is

∫ψ*·ψ = 1​
But this is not a hellish problem. Here are two easy questions, the answers to which are probably easier than you'd think:

1. What is the value of

∫ψ100*·ψ 100 = ____?​
2. What is the value of

∫ψ100*·ψ311 = ____?​
 
Last edited: