1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need advice on undergrad florida schools

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    right now i am a freshmen at florida state univeristy and majoring in physics. i know that it is a good school, but i am not sure that this is the right place for me. the school seems to be centered aroud sports. the people seem to be centered around parties.

i don't feel that comfortable here, so i am now thinking about the university of south florida becuase it is an acclaimed research university. i am trying to learn more about their physics program.

my goal is to continue to a different school to earn a phd in physics. what place do you think is best? and if you have any other insight on this please please please reply.

thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I attended Florida State for one semester, and quickly learned that it was also not the right place for me (though I did have a lot of fun). I had my transfer application in at Virginia Tech by October, and left Florida State after only one semester.

There are many good schools which can provide an excellent undergraduate education. USF is a fine school. In my opinion, the most important factors for a physics degree would be the quality of the faculty (their publications, honors, and so on), and the faculty / student ratio.

- Warren

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3
    so why wasn't fsu for you?

would having fsu on my graduate school application be more benifical than have usf?

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4
    bumb bumb bumb

6. Aug 29, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because their engineering department sucks. I was given a full scholarship there, but soon realized I got what I paid for. :frown:

- Warren

7. Aug 29, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't that be "bump"? As in Bump Up My Post?

Maybe another malaproprism! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?