1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need Help one my one piece of homework in Physics

1. Jul 2, 2014 #1
    you may act for an early morning walk. your may work 5m south and 12m east suppose you decided to walk further and go 4m south east and 6m west

A.) how far are you from starting point and roughly in what direction?

B.)Would you have gotten the same spot had you taken the steps in this order 12m east 4m southwest , 5m south , 6m west

hope you can help me guys :D ... thank you ^_^

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2014 #2
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  4. Jul 3, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps this should be, "You go for an early morning walk. Your walk goes 5m south and 12m east of your starting point. Suppose you decided to walk further and go 4m southeast and 6m west after the first part of your walk."

The best thing to do is draw the various parts of the walk on a piece of paper. It will be easier to keep track.

5. Jul 3, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This can be done by writing vectors for each phase of the walk and adding the vectors or by thinking of the walk as creating a series of triangles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted