I need some clarification Thermo Cycle

In summary, the problem involves 1 kg of Refrigerant 22 in a rigid closed tank with a paddle wheel that transfers energy at a constant rate of 0.1 kW. Heat transfer from the refrigerant to its surroundings occurs at a rate Kt, where K is a constant and t is time in minutes. After 20 minutes of stirring, the refrigerant is at a pressure of 1.2 MPa and an internal energy of 276.67 kJ/kg. The task is to determine the work and heat transfer in kJ, as well as the value of the constant K in kW/min in the given heat-transfer relation. The student also seeks clarification on the term "energy transferred in" and asks for a
Saladsamurai
I need some clarification! Thermo Cycle

Homework Statement

One kg of Refrigerant 22, initially at p1=.9MPa, u1=232.92 kJ/kG, is contained within a rigid closed tank. The tank is fitted with a paddle wheel that transfers energy to the refrigerant at a constant rate 0.1kW. Heat transfer from the refrigerant to its surroundings occurs at a rate Kt, in kW, where K is a constant, in kW/minute, and t is time in minutes. After 20 minutes of stirring, the refrigerant is at p2=1.2 MPa, u2=276.67 kJ/kG. No overall changes in KE or PE occur. (a) For the refrigerant, determine the Work and Heat transfer, each in kJ. (b) Determine the value of the constant K appearing in the given heat-transfer relation in kW/min.

Homework Equations

U2-U1=Q-W
W=int p*dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess what I really need is some clarification on the term "energy transferred in." Is this a rate of WORK?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can anyone give me a hint before I go to bed? Then I can mull it over and attack this problem on the subway tomorrow! :smile:

What is the unit on K?

Hi there,

Based on the information provided, it seems that the "energy transferred in" refers to the rate of heat transfer from the refrigerant to its surroundings. This can also be interpreted as the rate of work done by the paddle wheel in transferring energy to the refrigerant.

The unit for K would be kW/min, as stated in the problem. This would also make sense since it is a rate of heat transfer.

Hope this helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

What is a Thermo Cycle?

A Thermo Cycle is a thermodynamic process in which a system undergoes a series of changes in temperature and pressure in order to convert heat energy into mechanical work.

What is the purpose of a Thermo Cycle?

The purpose of a Thermo Cycle is to convert heat energy into mechanical work, which can be used to power machines and perform various tasks.

What are the different types of Thermo Cycles?

There are several different types of Thermo Cycles, including the Carnot Cycle, the Rankine Cycle, and the Otto Cycle. Each type has its own specific characteristics and applications.

What is the efficiency of a Thermo Cycle?

The efficiency of a Thermo Cycle is a measure of how much of the heat energy input is converted into useful work. It is typically expressed as a percentage and can vary depending on the type of Thermo Cycle and its operating conditions.

How is a Thermo Cycle used in real-world applications?

Thermo Cycles are used in a variety of industries and applications, including power generation, transportation, and refrigeration. They are also commonly used in heating and cooling systems for buildings and homes.