1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some clarification Thermo Cycle

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    I need some clarification!! Thermo Cycle

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One kg of Refrigerant 22, initially at p1=.9MPa, u1=232.92 kJ/kG, is contained within a rigid closed tank. The tank is fitted with a paddle wheel that transfers energy to the refrigerant at a constant rate 0.1kW. Heat transfer from the refrigerant to its surroundings occurs at a rate Kt, in kW, where K is a constant, in kW/minute, and t is time in minutes. After 20 minutes of stirring, the refrigerant is at p2=1.2 MPa, u2=276.67 kJ/kG. No overall changes in KE or PE occur. (a) For the refrigerant, determine the Work and Heat transfer, each in kJ. (b) Determine the value of the constant K appearing in the given heat-transfer relation in kW/min.

2. Relevant equations

U2-U1=Q-W
    W=int p*dV

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess what I really need is some clarification on the term "energy transfered in." Is this a rate of WORK?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    Re: I need some clarification!! Thermo Cycle

Can anyone give me a hint before I go to bed? Then I can mull it over and attack this problem on the subway tomorrow! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?