1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need the final velocity of two balls

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    m1 = 5, v1i = +10
    m2 = 3, v2i = 0

+y
    |_+x

How do I find v1f and v2f?

The balls crash into each other and after the crash I want to know the final velocity.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2
    Assuming the crash is a totally elastic collision all of the initial energy will be transfered into the kinetic energy of the first ball will be transfered to the second ball so you can use
    E.Ki=m1v1i^2/2=m2V2f^2/2, so V2final will equal the square root of m1iV1i^2/m2 thats if it is a totally elastic collision if it is inelastic M.E. will equal the sum of both E.K

4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    I was reading and looking at some of the animations on inelastic and elastic collision on Wikipedia and I have a very narrow idea of which is which.

1) Do you know a simple way of testing when a collision is elastic or inelastic?
    2) If it is inelastic M.E. will equal the sum of both E.K, what does that mean? Sorry big noob here.

[EDIT] Just noticed something, is this right? velocity final 1 for inelastic collision is always equal to velocity final 2?
    v1f = v2f?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?