1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need the proof of squeeze lemma on sequences

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    urgent!! i need the proof of squeeze lemma on sequences

if [tex]y_n \leq x_n \leq z_n[/tex] and [tex]y_n \rightarrow p[/tex] and [tex]z_n \rightarrow p[/tex]

then [tex]x_n \rightarrow p[/tex]

Note. i'm not looking for the proof of the regular squeeze theorem. this is supposed to be a proof adapting the proof of squeeze theorem onto the sequences.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

What have you tried? You'll need to use the epsilon delta definition of the limit.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
  5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    how am i suppose to apply this into the sequences?

6. Oct 19, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

Do you know the definition of the limit of a sequence? It's very similar in form to the epsilon delta definition used for functions.

7. Oct 20, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]a_n\le b_n\le c_n[/itex] and [itex]\lim a_n= \lim c_n= L[/itex] then [itex]lim b_n= L[/itex].

Since [itex]lim a_n= L[/itex], then, given any [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for some N1, if n> N1, [itex]|a_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. Since [itex]lim c_n= L[/itex], given any [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for some N2, if n> N2, [itex]|c_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. If n> larger of (N1, N2) what can you say about both [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]c_n[/itex]. What does that tell you about [itex]c_n[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?