Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I need the proof of squeeze lemma on sequences

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    urgent!! i need the proof of squeeze lemma on sequences

if [tex]y_n \leq x_n \leq z_n[/tex] and [tex]y_n \rightarrow p[/tex] and [tex]z_n \rightarrow p[/tex]

then [tex]x_n \rightarrow p[/tex]

Note. i'm not looking for the proof of the regular squeeze theorem. this is supposed to be a proof adapting the proof of squeeze theorem onto the sequences.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

What have you tried? You'll need to use the epsilon delta definition of the limit.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
  5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    how am i suppose to apply this into the sequences?

6. Oct 19, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

Do you know the definition of the limit of a sequence? It's very similar in form to the epsilon delta definition used for functions.

7. Oct 20, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If [itex]a_n\le b_n\le c_n[/itex] and [itex]\lim a_n= \lim c_n= L[/itex] then [itex]lim b_n= L[/itex].

Since [itex]lim a_n= L[/itex], then, given any [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for some N1, if n> N1, [itex]|a_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. Since [itex]lim c_n= L[/itex], given any [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for some N2, if n> N2, [itex]|c_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. If n> larger of (N1, N2) what can you say about both [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]c_n[/itex]. What does that tell you about [itex]c_n[/itex]?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook