1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to build a bridge out of toothpicks. MAJOR HELP NEEDED

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

weight limit-100grams
    roadbed must span 500mm of gap
    must provide space for hook (15mm x 15mm)
    Must be only built of round toothpicks and glue.
    Anybody have a clue How to do this/

2. Relevant equations
    LUCK??

3. The attempt at a solution
    i FIGURED i would do a Truss design but idk if that is thye best one

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    Well what are you going to put on the bridge? Is there a mass that it need to be able to withstand?

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
  5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    There is no "best one" do whatever you want to do. If you want to build a bridge using a Truss design, do it. However whatever you plan to do I'd suggest reading up on how the bridge actually supports itself and objects.

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5
    My knowledge on such areas isn't that great, but I have done a similar version of this using different material. Triangular structures used in bridges and in the links provided, proved very successfull for myself, though I'm afraid that is all I can offer you. What is this for a competition?

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    a project.. due tuesday WOW

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Jan 20, 2008 #7
    Will Elmers glue be enough to hold the load

9. Jan 20, 2008 #8
    The whole point of the project is to experiment until you get something that works, I'd suggest trying Elmer's glue and if it doesn't work try something else.

10. Jan 20, 2008 #9
    I went out and got some wood glue. Now I am wondering how I wll glue this thing. How can glue the two sticks w/o iit stickin to the surface

11. Jan 20, 2008 #10
    Not to be rude, but are you seriously asking how to glue toothpicks together?

12. Jan 20, 2008 #11
    its really quite simple. i remember when we did this in middle school the person who won was the one who used the most glue. that's about all there is i think.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  13. Jan 21, 2008 #12
    Yes.WhenI glue, it always sticksto the table

14. Jan 21, 2008 #13

RonL

Gold Member

Two solutions, build on a sheet of wax paper, or put a coat of paste wax on the table.

If the rules absolutly confine you to use white glue, or a woodglue, then titebond I, or II might produce a quicker set time.
    If allowed, a CA type (instant glue) using an excelerator, will give a 15 second or quicker lock.

15. Jan 21, 2008 #14
    Now my only problem left seems to be how I will get the thing standing when I build it

16. Jan 21, 2008 #15
    Cross link a bas with toothpicks, then build on top. These problems should be part of the fun.

17. Jan 21, 2008 #16
    what is that? A Bas?

18. Jan 21, 2008 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I do not know what a bas is.

I would study the winning designs.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/SUBAL/BCPrE.htm

It appears the latest winners have laminated their toothpicks into sturdier larger beams.
    I would imagine the best design would be a single solid arched pole that gets larger at the bases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Parabelbåge.png
    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/history/us/monuments/stlouisarch/printout.shtml

But I've never built a bridge before.

Good luck!

19. Jan 21, 2008 #18
    How can I make the glue dry really quickly

20. Jan 21, 2008 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member

hmmmm..... good question. have you tried a hair dryer?
    Try and keep the glue thickness at a minimum. This will help speed the drying.
    Maybe you can put the bridge in the oven at about 175'F.

here's good link about wood glue tricks:
    http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/Wood_Glue-Avoiding_Gluing_Problems
    although round toothpicks don't strike me as the ideal working material.

And remember that the strength comes mainly from the toothpicks, not the glue.
    Though you want the glue to stick well to the toothpicks, so you want them to be clean.
    I would wear gloves to keep the oil from your hands from contaminating the toothpicks.

21. Jan 21, 2008 #20

RonL

Gold Member

I think a base was implied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?