I restored my iPhone, but iTunes asks for a password

• Thread starter klazoniac
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Accidentally deleted a couple of notes from my iPhone and fortunately they were backed up by iTunes. When I try to restore the previous backup today, it stops and asks me for password. I don't remember i have set any password for that. Does this sound normal?

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
iPhone backups can be encrypted with a password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
It appears that if the backup is encrypted and you lose the password, you're out of luck. Unless maybe you know someone at the CIA or the FSB. :oldwink:

[added] But before you give up, make sure it's not your Apple ID password that it's asking for. Try resetting that if you don't remember it, or think you might have mis-remembered it.

I've never tried to restore my iPhone backup, so I have no direct experience with this.

Last edited:
No, I tried both but it says wrong
Yes try the reset link

Is this your iPhone,you don't even remember if you have a password for iTunes.The only way is to recover password for iTunes.

iPhone backups can be encrypted with a password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
It appears that if the backup is encrypted and you lose the password, you're out of luck. Unless maybe you know someone at the CIA or the FSB. :oldwink:

[added] But before you give up, make sure it's not your Apple ID password that it's asking for. Try resetting that if you don't remember it, or think you might have mis-remembered it.

I've never tried to restore my iPhone backup, so I have no direct experience with this.
The backup password is different from iPhone passcode or Apple ID, the only way is to brute-force it, it is too bad.

Is this your iPhone,you don't even remember if you have a password for iTunes.The only way is to recover password for iTunes.
Thanks for the addup

Accidentally deleted a couple of notes from my iPhone and fortunately they were backed up by iTunes. When I try to restore the previous backup today, it stops and asks me for password. I don't remember i have set any password for that. Does this sound normal?
Hey, have you successfully unlocked iTunes Backup now? I have a little experience with this and hope to be helpful to others. First, if you have used third-party password tools, they may have set a blank default password for you. You just need to keep the password box blank and click OK. Second, if you're used to using long passwords, try those long passwords until the password is filled. It may have been cut off. Finally, if you choose to abandon this backup, you can follow the Apple method to reset the iTunes password to ensure that subsequent backups are no longer lost.