I think I want to be a math major?

In summary, if you are not confident in your ability to do math, and if you think you will struggle in college, it may not be a good idea to pursue a math major.
homeylova223
I think I want to be math major I have taken Algebra and I am in precalc and in my first year of college.

Can anyone give me advice I admit I am not good in math I got a b- in Algebra but on my spare time I've studied calc all the way up the substitute integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you start studying Calculus you may want to brush up on Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry because your knowledge in these classes will be important when you take Calculus. Not to be harsh, but if you got a B- in Algebra then you may want to rethink this decision because you're far from "real" mathematics.

You don't sound very convinced.

Here's a question for you: do you think you would enjoy doing a lot of math in college, and are you willing to spend a lot of time trying to understand it all?

If you can genuinely answer 'yes' to that question, I think you can should be a math major.

I agree with Totalderiv, but you should also know why you didn't do well in Algebra. I got a C+ in HS Trig because the HW was 30% of the grade. I also didn't do well in my first semester of physics at college because I hadn't done any math in 9 years (because I kept getting bumped into lower math classes in HS because I refused to do HW). I am now doing fairly well as physics major. So did you struggle with the material? Did you have a personal issue with the professor? Did you party too much?

An intuitive feel for algebra, geometry, and trig is imperative in upper level math. If you had any trouble understanding the subject, being a math major will be painful. There are a number of other majors that include a lot of math if you enjoy it but struggle with it.

In addition to what everyone else has said, upper level math is nothing like the lower division math. It's a lot more abstract, with little to no calculations.

Just take a few classes and see how it goes! Most people have to take at least one math class to graduate anyway, regardless of major. You won't know if you're good at advanced math until you try it.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a math major?

As a math major, you can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, statistics, actuarial science, and education. You can also work in industries such as technology, research, and government.

2. Is a math major difficult?

Like any major, a math major can be challenging. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable. Many students find that the problem-solving skills and logical thinking developed through studying math can be applied to other areas of their lives as well.

3. Do I need to have strong math skills to be a math major?

While having a strong foundation in math is certainly helpful, it is not a requirement to pursue a math major. With the right coursework and dedication, anyone can develop their math skills and succeed in a math major.

4. What courses will I take as a math major?

The courses you take as a math major will vary depending on your specific program and interests. However, some common courses include calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and abstract algebra. You may also have the opportunity to take more specialized courses in areas such as geometry, number theory, or differential equations.

5. Can I combine a math major with another major?

Yes, many students choose to double major in math and another subject such as computer science, economics, or physics. This can provide a well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities.