Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can a sheet of paper cut something if thin enough?

1. Jun 19, 2017 at 1:21 AM #1
    I have been arguing with my friends about this question and we need some educated opinions on it. I think that if a piece of paper in thin enough it can cut something. These are the details:

1. "thin" in this case means extremely thin
    2. The paper can not be used to saw or swipe( it would be cutting like a guillotine)
    3. you can choose the object (for example a tomato will be reasonable)
    4. the piece of paper will have some tension to keep it from bending but not much(about as much tension as you can make by pulling on both ends of a piece of paper)

Example of this experiment would be someone holding a piece of thin paper vertically(with tension) and someone drops a tomato a few feet above the paper. will it crumple or slice the tomato

My argument is that because the paper is so ridiculously thin, that paper will be able to slip between the bonds of the tomatoes particles and without much force. Kind of like how a dull knife requires a lot of force to cut a tomato but a sharp knife requires less force. Can a piece of paper be so sharp as to not require much force(sturdiness) to cut a tomato.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2017 at 2:45 AM #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Short answer: No. You cannot make a paper so thin that it slips "in between bonds". What do you think paper is made of?

4. Jun 19, 2017 at 7:11 AM #3
    You never had a paper cut? It can cut your skin quite easily if you are not careful.

5. Jun 19, 2017 at 7:57 AM #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read rule 2.

6. Jun 19, 2017 at 7:58 AM #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Peeled?

7. Jun 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM #6
    I think the rules are a bit too wide. If I can choose the object, I choose a blob of razor foam. Will a static piece of paper cut that? Certainly.

8. Jun 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scissors cut paper.
    Paper cuts foam.
    Foam corrodes scissors.

9. Jun 19, 2017 at 9:34 AM #8
  10. Jun 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can I fold the paper to make it thicker and stronger?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted