Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I thought yall might think this was cool A tool using Octopus

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's great. I loved watching the octopus carry the shell!

OK, I thought about this a bit...I'm not a biologist so bare with me :smile:.

Biologists have a fascination for animals using tools. I don't think they would say tool-using animals are "more advanced" though, since all living things are as advanced as they need to be to fit into their ecological niche. Yet tool use is seen as a mark of intelligence since it requires planning for the future.

So why is tool use seen as a marker of intelligence, but something such nest-making is not? In making a nest, a bird forages for material, transports it, and then uses it in a fashion for which it was not intended. A chimp does the same thing when it strip twigs off of branches to use them to fish out termites How is that different?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook