Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series

Tags:
  1. Mar 7, 2014 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks like the new Cosmos TV series is about to start. We'd like to keep discussions about the series in a single thread, so feel free to post your thoughts and reactions and questions in this thread.

I really enjoyed the original Cosmos TV series with Carl Sagan. It was a bit over-done at times, but often I learned new things from it, and was impressed by the educational computer animations. So many years later, I'm guessing that the CGI will be pretty awesome, especially in HD.

And it looks like they will repeat the original Cosmos TV series in a marathon this weekend before starting to air the new series:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2
    Just read an interview with NGT about the show in Popular Science. Really stoked to watch this!

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3
    Yeah, same here!

EDIT: Trailer as a teaser.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBTd9--9VMI

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Mar 8, 2014 #4

Borek

Funny thing is, back when I was a teenager I watched a series called Kosmos 1999 (which was originally titled Space 1999). In effect each time I hear about the Cosmos series I think about something completely different than most of you do.

6. Mar 8, 2014 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That series apparently is getting a reboot as well as Space 2099. But no, Space 1999 ≠ Cosmos, and Space 2099 ≠ Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.

7. Mar 8, 2014 #6
    Very bizarre trailer.

Will this be on free public TV? If not I hope netflix picks it up quick!

8. Mar 8, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not really, Greg. You have to remember that this is being put on primarily as ENTERTAINMENT, not science and I'm sure FOX thinks this is a killer trailer. Let's hope the science is not up to Fox's usual standard of gross inaccuracy.

I have basic cable and I'll get it. On the other hand, my wife, who doesn't have a $5/month cable box on her TV won't get it. She only gets < 100 channels from our basic subscription but for the $5/mo I get another couple of hundred. SO ... is it on public TV? I'm not sure. Probably depends on your service. Of course, I think of basic cable as "public TV" and the pay channels like HBO as not "public TV".

9. Mar 9, 2014 #8
    I think it starts in 1 hour!

10. Mar 9, 2014 #9

Evo

It appears that it will be re-broadcast online on Fox after the tv airing according to their episode rules.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/

11. Mar 9, 2014 #10
    Yay! I don't have TV :)

12. Mar 9, 2014 #11
    FOX is a surprising place to have a program like this. I thought it was quite good - a worthy successor to the original. I wonder if NdGT and AD wanted it on fox so that they could reach an audience that does not normally watch PBS or the science channel. If so, then having Obama at the beginning may have scared off the people they wanted to reach.

13. Mar 10, 2014 #12
    I wouldn't rate it that highly just yet.

This first episode was probably watched by a lot of people who don't usually watch PBS. It was obvious that the creationists were clubbed over the head.:devil: That is certainly an oddity for FOX.

Locally it was aired on FOX Sports 2. :confused:

14. Mar 10, 2014 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was not all that impressed. I love NdGT but this show was long on hot graphics and short on any actual explanations of the physics. BUT ... given that it IS a pop-sci show, it's sure better than crap like Through the Wormhole.

Yeah, edward, I was also struck by the fact that he was clobbering the creationists. That's a good thing and bodes well for the scientific integrity of the show even if it doesn't get into details as much as I'd like.

15. Mar 10, 2014 #14

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Well that was largely disappointing. The onslaught of statuses on my Facebook newsfeed praising the episode only makes matters worse. How in the world do people tolerate let alone enjoy this stuff?

I wish there was a David Attenborough of physics. That man was the god of educational scientific documentaries.

16. Mar 10, 2014 #15
    Enjoyed it very much. Graphics were beautiful, and of course, it brings science back into the livingrooms, to inspire the average person to wonder.

17. Mar 10, 2014 #16
    I recall the first episode of the original was also very much a brief overview of things that would be revisited in detail in later episodes.

Two things though: They use the Star Wars image of what an asteroid field looks like. Can a real field ever look like that? And a pity about the music - it's very generic TV cinema stuff. The original soundtrack was so striking.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  18. Mar 10, 2014 #17
    I would rather have Tyson on an armchair rather than on a spaceship...
    The first part was a CGI overkill, second part as an overview was better than most other pop-sci shows.
    I liked the frequent stress on scientific method and the calendar analogy though.

19. Mar 10, 2014 #18
    I can't make heads or tails of the trailer(s) - what is this series about?

20. Mar 10, 2014 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Watched the trailer, but have no idea what it's about (or whether I'd like to watch it).

According to imdb it's a documentary that "explores how we discovered the laws of nature and found our coordinates in space and time"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

21. Mar 10, 2014 #20
    For all I know it could have been an introduction to some very advanced cooking techniques :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook