Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Just wanted to share this with everyone since it has been STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL DAY!!! :surprised

Click here to listen http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/hippo.htm

Only a hippopotamus will do
    Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinker Toy
    I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy

I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
    He won't have to use our dirty chimney flue
    Just bring him through the front door,
    that's the easy thing to do

I can see me now on Christmas morning,
    creeping down the stairs
    Oh what joy and what surprise
    when I open up my eyes
    to see a hippo hero standing there

No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
    I only like hippopotamuses
    And hippopotamuses like me too

Mom says the hippo would eat me up, but then
    Teacher says a hippo is a vegeterian.
    (Short Music Interlude)
    There's lots of room for him in our two-car garage
    I'd feed him there and wash him there and give him his massage

I can see me now on Christmas morning,
    creeping down the stairs
    Oh what joy and what surprise
    when I open up my eyes
    to see a hippo hero standing there

No crocodiles or rhinoceroseses
    I only like hippopotamuseses
    And hippopotamuses like me too!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here's a newly born hippo out on his very first swim:
    [​IMG]

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3

Evo

The link might be blocked by my firewall. :frown:

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

Astronuc

That is so cute! :smile: :tongue2:

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5

Evo

Don't rub it in, I can't see it. :cry:

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6

Astronuc

But you can see it later. :smile: I wasn't trying to rub it in. :frown: I share your pain. :cry:

8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I wish I'd had a camera when I was a kid. Of course, we weren't in the position to even afford film and developing, so that wouldn't have been too practical, but I have seen some amazing things in the woods. When I was about 10, my father and I hiked into a bog deep in the woods to do some fishing. As we got near the bog, there was a steaming pile of afterbirth in the trail - way bigger than any deer would produce. We got into the boat (two old Pontiac hoods welded butt-to-butt) and paddled out to fish(bailing frequently). A few minutes later a cow moose appeared on the shore, using her muzzle to boost her new-born calf and move him toward the bog. As soon as she got him in the water, he seemed right at home and started swimming around. He was cinnamon-colored and all ears. After he had strengthened his legs and exercised (and presumably washed off the scent of the placenta and amniotic fluid) his mother urged him back to shore. His legs looked pretty rickety at first, but he soon got the hang of walking and followed her into the woods. I remember that parents from town would bring their kids to my uncle's farm to see calves being born, etc. Watching a new-born moose take his first steps was WAY cooler!

Evo, I can't see the hippo either, and I don't have anything filtering out images on my PC.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. Dec 6, 2006 #8
    Awww that hippo is cute, and now the song is stuck in my head to. They were playing it in a store I went to the other day and it's been in my head since.....it's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!

10. Dec 6, 2006 #9

Evo

I can see it now!!! OMG, IT'S SO CUUUUUTE!!!!!!! :!!) :!!)

11. Dec 6, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that baby hippo is absolutely adorable!!

Thanks for getting the song stuck in ALL our heads now, Evo. :grumpy:

12. Dec 6, 2006 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Luckily, I haven't been exposed to that song enough to have a memory of it so it's not stuck in my head, but ZZ's last photo contest has Old MacDonald cropping up (eieio) so I pretty much leave my 400 CD carousel on random shuttle. Muddy Waters, Shannon Curfman, Shania Twain, Vince Gill, Chet Atkins, AC/DC, Mary Black, et al save me from that "song stuck in the head" problem. And I STILL haven't seen the baby hippo picture. I dug up the source HTML for the page and have queried the jpg, but apparently the honolulu zoo's web site is having problems.

13. Dec 6, 2006 #12

turbo

Gold Member

14. Dec 6, 2006 #13
    :!!) 400 CD carousel wow.

Yeah, the link you posted was the right picture.

15. Dec 6, 2006 #14

sas3

Gold Member

16. Dec 6, 2006 #15
  17. Dec 6, 2006 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I have spent so much money buying LPs and switching to CDs (though I still have over 300 LPs) that I should have an industry award. I've got rock, pop, blues, jazz, country, western, classical, and all kinds of cross-over stuff. No opera or rap at all, and little pop. Some of my favorite albums are not (and will never be) available as CDs.

18. Dec 6, 2006 #17
    Gads, does that ever look slimy and nasty.

Imagine one of those crawling into bed in the morning because it wants breakfast.

19. Dec 6, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I had to get the carousel player. The jewel cases were taking up huge amounts of space, and it is a real PITA to store all those alphabetically so you can find the music you want when you want it. Now, I can do an alphabetical search of all the CDs in the carousel and listen to a song, an album, or just shuffle, like I prefer now. The jewel cases and inserts are stored in a loft over the garage. One day soon, music will be captured at a sampling rate much higher than that done with current CD technology and all we will need to store it is adequate memory. Optical storage technology will soon allow us to to store analog-quality audio on optical media very cheaply. I am NOT going to re-purchase my favorite music on another medium. I've already played that game.

EDIT: Scorpa, have we gone off-topic? Maybe not, because this whole forum is off-topic, and if Evo and TE don't hook up soon, she will be pounding on my door trying to get me to get her a guy looking for a lady with more basic skill-sets - clean the trout, gut the deer, chop the wood, weed the garden, etc.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  20. Dec 7, 2006 #19

turbo

Gold Member

It's still probably marginally better than a hedgehog in that regard. :rofl:

21. Dec 7, 2006 #20

Evo

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?