I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" is stuck in everyone's head, and there is an adorable new-born hippo picture on the Honolulu Zoo's website that is currently unavailable due to website issues.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Just wanted to share this with everyone since it has been STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL DAY!

Click here to listen http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/hippo.htm

Only a hippopotamus will do
Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinker Toy
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy

I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use our dirty chimney flue
Just bring him through the front door,
that's the easy thing to do

I can see me now on Christmas morning,
creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise
when I open up my eyes
to see a hippo hero standing there

No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
I only like hippopotamuses
And hippopotamuses like me too

Mom says the hippo would eat me up, but then
Teacher says a hippo is a vegeterian.
(Short Music Interlude)
There's lots of room for him in our two-car garage
I'd feed him there and wash him there and give him his massage

I can see me now on Christmas morning,
creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise
when I open up my eyes
to see a hippo hero standing there

No crocodiles or rhinoceroseses
I only like hippopotamuseses
And hippopotamuses like me too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a newly born hippo out on his very first swim:
http://www.honoluluzoo.org/images/hippo_baby_tianjinzoo.jpg

The link might be blocked by my firewall. :frown:

arildno said:
[/URL] That is so cute! :smile: :tongue2:

Astronuc said:
That is so cute! :smile: :tongue2:
Don't rub it in, I can't see it. :cry:

Evo said:
Don't rub it in, I can't see it. :cry:
But you can see it later. :smile: I wasn't trying to rub it in. :frown: I share your pain. :cry:

I wish I'd had a camera when I was a kid. Of course, we weren't in the position to even afford film and developing, so that wouldn't have been too practical, but I have seen some amazing things in the woods. When I was about 10, my father and I hiked into a bog deep in the woods to do some fishing. As we got near the bog, there was a steaming pile of afterbirth in the trail - way bigger than any deer would produce. We got into the boat (two old Pontiac hoods welded butt-to-butt) and paddled out to fish(bailing frequently). A few minutes later a cow moose appeared on the shore, using her muzzle to boost her new-born calf and move him toward the bog. As soon as she got him in the water, he seemed right at home and started swimming around. He was cinnamon-colored and all ears. After he had strengthened his legs and exercised (and presumably washed off the scent of the placenta and amniotic fluid) his mother urged him back to shore. His legs looked pretty rickety at first, but he soon got the hang of walking and followed her into the woods. I remember that parents from town would bring their kids to my uncle's farm to see calves being born, etc. Watching a new-born moose take his first steps was WAY cooler!

Evo, I can't see the hippo either, and I don't have anything filtering out images on my PC.

Last edited:
Awww that hippo is cute, and now the song is stuck in my head to. They were playing it in a store I went to the other day and it's been in my head since...it's driving me nuts!

arildno said:
I[/URL] can see it now! OMG, IT'S SO CUUUUUTE! :!) :!)

Oh, that baby hippo is absolutely adorable!

Thanks for getting the song stuck in ALL our heads now, Evo. :grumpy:

scorpa said:
Awww that hippo is cute, and now the song is stuck in my head to. They were playing it in a store I went to the other day and it's been in my head since...it's driving me nuts!
Luckily, I haven't been exposed to that song enough to have a memory of it so it's not stuck in my head, but ZZ's last photo contest has Old MacDonald cropping up (eieio) so I pretty much leave my 400 CD carousel on random shuttle. Muddy Waters, Shannon Curfman, Shania Twain, Vince Gill, Chet Atkins, AC/DC, Mary Black, et al save me from that "song stuck in the head" problem. And I STILL haven't seen the baby hippo picture. I dug up the source HTML for the page and have queried the jpg, but apparently the honolulu zoo's website is having problems.

turbo-1 said:
my 400 CD carousel on random shuttle.

:!) 400 CD carousel wow.

Yeah, the link you posted was the right picture.

Here is the song.
Not a midi

http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/sk_va1sk/

scorpa said:
I have spent so much money buying LPs and switching to CDs (though I still have over 300 LPs) that I should have an industry award. I've got rock, pop, blues, jazz, country, western, classical, and all kinds of cross-over stuff. No opera or rap at all, and little pop. Some of my favorite albums are not (and will never be) available as CDs.

Evo said:
I can see it now! OMG, IT'S SO CUUUUUTE! :!) :!)
Gads, does that ever look slimy and nasty.

Imagine one of those crawling into bed in the morning because it wants breakfast.

scorpa said:

Yeah, the link you posted was the right picture.
I had to get the carousel player. The jewel cases were taking up huge amounts of space, and it is a real PITA to store all those alphabetically so you can find the music you want when you want it. Now, I can do an alphabetical search of all the CDs in the carousel and listen to a song, an album, or just shuffle, like I prefer now. The jewel cases and inserts are stored in a loft over the garage. One day soon, music will be captured at a sampling rate much higher than that done with current CD technology and all we will need to store it is adequate memory. Optical storage technology will soon allow us to to store analog-quality audio on optical media very cheaply. I am NOT going to re-purchase my favorite music on another medium. I've already played that game.

EDIT: Scorpa, have we gone off-topic? Maybe not, because this whole forum is off-topic, and if Evo and TE don't hook up soon, she will be pounding on my door trying to get me to get her a guy looking for a lady with more basic skill-sets - clean the trout, gut the deer, chop the wood, weed the garden, etc.

Last edited:
twisting_edge said:
Gads, does that ever look slimy and nasty.

Imagine one of those crawling into bed in the morning because it wants breakfast.
It's still probably marginally better than a hedgehog in that regard. :rofl:

I mean just LOOK at this manatee with a carrot in it's mouth. I happen to LOVE manatees and thanks to the Evo Child, I have some beautiful manatee collectables. :!)

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/A-West-Indian-Manatee-Eats-a-Carrot-Posters_i1006478_.htm

Last edited:
Evo said:
I mean just LOOK at this manatee with a carrot in it's mouth. I happen to LOVE manatees and thanks to the Evo Child, I have some beautiful manatee collectables. :!)

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/A-West-Indian-Manatee-Eats-a-Carrot-Posters_i1006478_.htm
Well, that is a neat poster. I can tell you that I won't be buying anything from that outfit anytime soon, though. $$$$$:yuck:

Probably the most adorable animal I have ever held was a baby skunk. Its mother was killed by a car, so she ended up in a wildlife rescue. My wife and I take friends there and donate money to the folks that run the rescue. They graciously give us a tour of the whole place, so we can see what they're doing and what animals they are rehabilitating. Anyway, we were looking at foxes, bobcats, etc, and the little skunk was tagging along. I asked Carlene what was up and she said that the skunk liked people and was curious about us. I picked up the skunk, and she snuggled up in my hands like she had known me forever. My wife just HAD to hold her, too and didn't want to give her back. Good thing the skunk was calm - she still had her full arsenal of chemical weapons and would need them when she was released to the wild. On another visit, my wife got to hold a really chubby groundhog. He was recovering from an injury and he had learned how to get into the feed containers. Don and Carlene were trying to come up with ways to get his food intake down, but he pretty much had the run of the place and with all the deer, rabbits, ducks, geese, etc, there was food available everywhere - just knock over the feed-tubs, pry off the cover and eat. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
Well, that is a neat poster. I can tell you that I won't be buying anything from that outfit anytime soon, though. $$$$$:yuck:
I know, I can't see paying that much for a poster.

Probably the most adorable animal I have ever held was a baby skunk.
Awww, that sounds like a great place. :approve:

which reminds me... the gardener who saw a hippo

The Mad Gardener's Song
By Lewis Carroll

He thought he saw an Elephant,
That practised on a fife:
He looked again, and found it was
A letter from his wife.
'At length I realize,' he said,
The bitterness of Life!'

He thought he saw a Buffalo
Upon the chimney-piece:
His Sister's Husband's Niece.
'Unless you leave this house,' he said,
"I'll send for the Police!'

He thought he saw a Rattlesnake
That questioned him in Greek:
The Middle of Next Week.
'The one thing I regret,' he said,
'Is that it cannot speak!'

He thought he saw a Banker's Clerk
Descending from the bus:
A Hippopotamus.
'If this should stay to dine,' he said,
'There won't be much for us!'

He thought he saw a Kangaroo
That worked a coffee-mill:
A Vegetable-Pill.
'Were I to swallow this,' he said,
'I should be very ill!'

He thought he saw a Coach-and-Four
That stood beside his bed:
A Bear without a Head.
'Poor thing,' he said, 'poor silly thing!
It's waiting to be fed!'

He thought he saw an Albatross
That fluttered round the lamp:
A Penny-Postage Stamp.
'You'd best be getting home,' he said:
'The nights are very damp!'

He thought he saw a Garden-Door
That opened with a key:
A Double Rule of Three:
'And all its mystery,' he said,
'Is clear as day to me!'

He thought he saw a Argument
That proved he was the Pope:
A Bar of Mottled Soap.
'A fact so dread,' he faintly said,
'Extinguishes all hope!'

What is the history behind the song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"?

The song was written by John Rox and first recorded by 10-year-old Gayla Peevey in 1953. It became an instant hit, and Peevey's hometown of Oklahoma City raised enough money to buy her a real hippopotamus for Christmas. The hippo, named Matilda, was donated to the Oklahoma City Zoo.

Is the desire for a hippopotamus a common Christmas wish?

No, the song is a novelty Christmas song and the desire for a hippopotamus is not a common Christmas wish. The lyrics of the song are meant to be humorous and whimsical.

Are there any scientific reasons why a hippopotamus would not make a good Christmas present?

Yes, there are several reasons why a hippopotamus would not make a good Christmas present. They are large, dangerous animals that require a lot of space and specialized care. They are also herbivores and would require a large amount of food, which can be expensive. Additionally, they can live up to 40-50 years, so it would be a long-term commitment.

Are there any benefits to having a hippopotamus as a pet?

No, there are no benefits to having a hippopotamus as a pet. They are wild animals and do not make good pets. They can be aggressive and dangerous, and it is not ethical to keep them in captivity for the purpose of entertainment.

Is there any scientific evidence that a hippopotamus would be happy with a child as its owner?

No, there is no scientific evidence that a hippopotamus would be happy with a child as its owner. As mentioned before, hippos are wild animals and do not form the same kind of bonds with humans as domesticated animals. It would not be safe or appropriate for a child to own a hippopotamus as a pet.