Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody not in the mood for christmas?

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    I think this holiday is over-the-top and hyped up by the media way too much. To me , christmas is just another excused to waste money on useless items that you will probably replaced the next time christmas comes around! To me christmas is no more different than Valentine's day : There all just another excuse to boost the economy. Not that I'm against practicing capitalism. But please see this holiday for what it is and its certainly not magical . There isn't anything magical about it capitalism at its peak. I The only people who will enjoy christmas the most are people under twelve. College students will also enjoy christmas the most because they get a month off to stray away from school for awhile to relax. I don't understand why people over 25 who don't have any children enjoy this holiday so much. You can be around family anytime of the year . In fact, I don't think I want to be around a lot of people in the winter; I want to stay in bed for awhile and not talk to anybody until their isn't an inch of snow left on the ground.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Economy? What? No! Santa's elves make all the toys and he gives them away for free! Right? :uhh:

I enjoy Christmas, but not for the presents. It's fun for the festive decorations, and the gatherings of friends and family over big meals.

4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love Christmas. For me it is all about the spirit of giving and a celebration of joy. And there is no doubt that Christmas can still make me feel like a kid, every now and then. I esp find this is true during those moments when I lose consciousness due to an OD of chocolate and egg nog.

Buying presents is a pain the butt, but in our family even the kids are outgrowing this guessing game and want gift certficates this year. And I do enjoy aspects of the commercial business, like buying my mentally retarded uncle something that he really wants but can't afford. Of course I can do this anytime, but Christmas is a time of year set aside to remind us all to do these things.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. Dec 13, 2007 #4

Couldn't have said it any better.

New Years Eve>>Christmas

6. Dec 14, 2007 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What annoys me is that the radio stations and shoutcasts I listen to play Christmas songs constantly. God, I can't stand them.

7. Dec 14, 2007 #6
    rightly said, i dunno how people burn up so much of $$$ on festivals. and the worst, the media goes outta hands covering all this.
    Maybe it better counts for the holidays one gets rather than the get together theme or something

8. Dec 14, 2007 #7
    My most concern for this Christmas as well as NewYear is about my girlfriend. I don't know if she will stay with me or with her ex husband, soooo I am not in a good mood at present. I don't know what way I can keep her for this special occasion.

9. Dec 14, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I enjoy Christmas since it's the only time I get to see my old friends, nowadays. Since we've all moved off to different areas of the country to study/work I'm not in touch with my old friends from home that much; but Christmas is the one time that you can guarantee everyone will be around to meet and catch up.

Plus, this year's the first time in as many years as I can remember that I don't have exams in the first few weeks of january :biggrin:

10. Dec 14, 2007 #9
    Here in the United States, there are serious minded Christians who agonize over the secularization of a religious holiday. In japan, they celebrate the Christmas season almost exactly the same way we do except for this important difference. Christians only make up about 1% of the population. Very few people there even know what Christmas is. So there is none of the hand-wringing over there, the stores just put up decorations and blare Christmas carols and the people go shopping. If you get a chance, go to Japan during the Christmas season and see the exuberance without the guilt.

11. Dec 14, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Change the station?

That's an advantage of getting one's Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving and finishing the rest online, you don't get overdosed on Christmas carols too soon before Christmas. I LOVE Christmas carols, but only start playing them the week of Christmas or else you get sick of them by the time Christmas comes along (any song you listen to too often will do that). Seriously, I think avoiding the malls all month long has me in a much better mood about Christmas. It feels more like the once-a-year treat it used to be rather than being all worn out by the time it arrives.

12. Dec 14, 2007 #11

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

danged Puritans...

When the gol-danged Puritans took over Britain, they nuked ~53 holidays. That sick, sad, sober tradition followed its way over to the Colonies, later to become part of the Protestant Work Ethic thing we have over here.

Anyway, most cultures with a more sane approach have a lot of festivals. So they do not feel the need to go berserk when there is only one two two "joy breaks" per year.
    I lived for a long time on the Santo Domingo Reservation. They have several fun festivals every year. Chrsitmas is important, but not like the whole year revolves around it, like it does a lot of other festival-deprived Americans.

So are you Christmas-dissers dang Puritans or just professional grumps :smile:

13. Dec 14, 2007 #12
    Christmas=Awsome food. Nuff said.

14. Dec 14, 2007 #13
    - Christmas is the season where most people spend the most money. In Europe and The United States, we are talking maybe thousands of billion of dollars.
    - Suicide rates and depression increase manifold during the Christmas.
    - Christmas makes people get more loans to pay for it.
    - Business loose income and productivity over Christmas.

Is it really worth it?

15. Dec 14, 2007 #14
    i think a lot of families get together for christmas because so much of our culture tells them its important too. a lot of that culture is christmas movies talking about setting aside differences to experience the most wonderful time of the year, christmas o:). if you take out everything you see on movies, shows, adds and carols about christmas being an appropriate time to put up with your family and not hate your neighbors and get together with everyone you know, i don't think people would do it on their own.

i think in the tv culture, people need to be told when its appropriate to have a family reunion.

16. Dec 14, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, great for the economy. Lots of jobs open up in retail, restaurant and hospitality sectors this time of year, and a lot of people count on that seasonal work to make ends meet.
    With current understanding of Seasonal Affective Disorder, I wouldn't blame Christmas for this.

:uhh: Christmas is a holiday, it doesn't make anyone do anything. :wink: There's no need to spend beyond one's means to enjoy the holiday.
    Huh? This is the time of year that makes or breaks the retail sector. Lots of businesses thrive on the holiday season (both Christmas and New Years celebrations).

Absolutely! :biggrin:

17. Dec 14, 2007 #16
    Christmas isnt about being off work or spending tons of cash its about enjoying yourself and having a good time with family and friends that most people dont get to do a lot. Everyone must also remember christmas as a youngster how magical it felt. Its the best time of the year. The only people that dont like christmas are moany people that just look for an excuse to moan.

18. Dec 14, 2007 #17
    You can spend time with family anytime of the year. Christmas will not dictate the kind of mood you are in. To me christmas comes around a time thats the most depressing for most people . Lack of exposure to light makes people depressed. Yes , I agree with you that christmas suited best for the naive youngsters who don't have a clue that the guy in the red suit putting presents under your tree is uncle bob in a fat suit. Summer the best time of the year and sadly the shortest time.

19. Dec 14, 2007 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Funny, lots of light really bothers me. I just had to request that they remove half of the overhead flourescent lights over and near my cube. Some dolt ordered all the bulbs replaced with a higher wattage and the maintenance guy said he's been flooded with complaints ever since. I love gray, overcast skies.

It sounds like you have some deep disapointment in your life that you associate with the holiday. Most people that are troubled at this time of year usually have some unreasonable expectations associated with it.

20. Dec 14, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's why you need a festival with lots of lights involved, so you get cheered up on those dreary days!

21. Dec 14, 2007 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought the "Festival of Lights" was a Jewish tradition. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?