I want a level sensor for a tank

In summary, a level switch based on the thermal dispersion principle should work. We used to make our own in the food industry, all a sensor was, was 3 different lengths of round bar pressed into a plastic housing. A float type "pill" switch would be the most reliable and the easiest to service.
bicolino
hey guys,i want a level sensor for a tank, a big industrial one, contains pulp for paper industry, i don't want a continuous data stream, just if it's under a certain level, turns on a pump, and if its over another certain level, turns it off, tell me the type of sensor, and the best manufacturer i could by from, thanks alot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A level switch based on the thermal dispersion principle should work.

We used to make our own in the food industry, all a sensor was, was 3 different lengths of round bar pressed into a plastic housing.

When just the longest and second longest bar was immersed it turned a pump on, when all the bars were immersed it turned the pump off

We found this idea far better than complex sensors that could be easily damaged.

I believe the sensors wolram described above are conductive sensors used where the substance whose level is being sensed is a conductive medium. However, there are other types you can check out, assuming your medium is non-conductive cos i think pulp is non-conductive. Visit the link below and see what u can make of it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_sensor

we have very satisfying experience with radar level sensors. works on everything.
go have a look at krohne. pay $4000 and forget about all the installation, fitting cost and emptying andd refilling of alternatives.

jerry

Float type would probably be the simplest and the cheapest one that you could get..

I agree with chetanladha. A float type "pill" switch would be the most reliable and the easiest to service. The pill switches come in a variety of voltages and can be wired to control voltage of the pump contactor.

I was having a hard time imagining any float type that would work well in that type of service, but certainly not a simple pill style. A pill style float would require a pretty clean service, which I don't imagine pulp to be (maybe that's my poor assumption).

I'm imagining the pulp to be problematic both in clogging up nozzles and accumulating on floats/contacts. To me that means read the level from above where the pulp can't affect it with radar or nuclear (not sure if nuclear would be applicable) or read it from the weight of the tank with a strain gauge (if the density is consistant).

I don't know that the OP is ever going to return though.

We use pill switches in submerged septic and sewage applications everyday. I have them in sewage pump tanks that have been operating for 20 yrs with no failures. These are sealed contact pills. The ones that I use are made by a company called SJE.

I have worked in pulp and paper, sewage and septic is as harsh.

1. What is a level sensor and how does it work?

A level sensor is a device used to measure the level of liquid or solid material in a tank. It typically consists of a probe or sensor that is placed inside the tank and connected to a display or control panel. The sensor uses various methods such as ultrasonic, pressure, or float to measure the level of the material and send the data to the display or control panel.

2. What are the types of level sensors available for tanks?

There are several types of level sensors available for tanks, including ultrasonic, pressure, float, conductive, and capacitive sensors. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to consider the specific needs of your tank and application before choosing a sensor.

3. How accurate are level sensors for tanks?

The accuracy of a level sensor for a tank can vary depending on the type and quality of the sensor. In general, most sensors have an accuracy of +/- 0.5-1% of the full scale range. However, some high-end sensors can have an accuracy of up to +/- 0.1% of the full scale range.

4. Can I use a level sensor for different types of materials in my tank?

Yes, there are level sensors available that can be used for different types of materials such as liquids, powders, and solids. However, it is important to ensure that the sensor is compatible with the specific material in your tank and can accurately measure its level.

5. How do I choose the right level sensor for my tank?

Choosing the right level sensor for your tank depends on various factors such as the type of material in the tank, the size and shape of the tank, the required accuracy, and the operating conditions. It is recommended to consult with a professional or do thorough research to determine the best sensor for your specific application.