Water tank level control system

In summary, a water level control system will use a relay to control the pump when the water level goes below a sensor.
TheRedDevil18
I have a project to build a water level control system. Basically I will have two sensor probes one connected near the bottom and the other near the top. When the water level goes below the bottom sensor it will trigger a pump to pump water back into the tank until it reaches the top sensor. That's the basic idea. I have looked at some schematics online and basically to design the trigger I could use:

1) Logic gate
2) 555 timer in bistable mode
3) Comparator with JK flip flop

What would be the best approach ?, like in terms of less power and components needed

Engineering news on Phys.org
Relays or limit switches are the traditional way to do that. You can handle a lot more power with a relay than with most logic gates.

anorlunda said:
Relays or limit switches are the traditional way to do that. You can handle a lot more power with a relay than with most logic gates.

Yes, I am going to use a relay to control the pump. The system that triggers the relay based on the water level is what I am trying to design

You may find this helpful.

TheRedDevil18 said:
I have a project to build a water level control system. Basically I will have two sensor probes one connected near the bottom and the other near the top. When the water level goes below the bottom sensor it will trigger a pump to pump water back into the tank until it reaches the top sensor. That's the basic idea.
I created such a system many years ago (≈1978). It turned out that the hardest part was finding a reliable water level sensor. A magnetic sensor does not work and a capacitive sensor detected "water" as long as just one drop of water clung to the sensor. I ended up using a pressure transducer...

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
You might think about how this problem has already been solved. The water in a toilet tank does the same thing. It's reliable, mass produced, and cheap. A standard well pump shares the same characteristics. It provides pressure to run the toilet valve.

If you need something bigger, I like Svein's pressure transducer. Electricity and water don't play well together.

Another option would be a sonar range detector (like used in robotics) mounted on the top of the tank facing down.

You might want a back up shut off system using a different technique. This could reduce the chance of accidental overflow.

You might also check with the materials and chemical engineering forum. Chemical Engineers use lots of tanks for reactions and stuff. They might know some tricks.

1. What is a water tank level control system?

A water tank level control system is a device used to automatically maintain the water level in a tank at a desired level. It typically includes sensors to measure the water level, a controller to process the information, and valves or pumps to adjust the water level as needed.

2. Why is a water tank level control system important?

A water tank level control system is important because it ensures a consistent and adequate water supply for various purposes, such as drinking, irrigation, and industrial use. It also helps prevent overflows, which can lead to water wastage and damage to the tank and surrounding areas.

3. How does a water tank level control system work?

A water tank level control system works by using sensors to measure the water level in the tank. The information is then sent to a controller, which compares it to the desired level and activates valves or pumps to adjust the water level accordingly. The system can also be programmed to shut off the water supply if the tank reaches a certain level to prevent overflows.

4. What are the benefits of using a water tank level control system?

The benefits of using a water tank level control system include efficient use of water, prevention of overflows and water wastage, and reduced maintenance costs for the tank. It also provides convenience and peace of mind by automating the process of maintaining the water level.

5. Can a water tank level control system be used in different types of tanks?

Yes, a water tank level control system can be used in different types of tanks, including above-ground and underground tanks. The system can be customized to fit the specific needs and size of the tank, making it a versatile solution for water level control.