I want good documentaries on cell theory, DNA

In summary: There are a few documentaries on cell theory, bacteria and viruses, but I don't know about any specific ones. The MIT lecture on Introductory Biology is a good place to start if you want a more in-depth look at the subject.
raeshun
What are some good documentaries on cell theory cell membranes DNA or genetics.Also documentaries on bacteria and viruses would be good.

Biology news on Phys.org

I don't know about any documentaries. But the MIT lecture of Introductory Biology from Prof. Wienberg and Prof. Lander is pretty good.

I haven't actually watched this documentary, but I have watched a lot of physics related ones from NOVA, which does this one on the race to decode the human genome. I don't know how complicated you want the documentary to be, however; NOVA's documentaries are typically pretty simplistic. Still, it should give some good background. Look around the site as well. You might find some other interesting ones.

Anyway here's the link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/cracking-the-code-of-life.html

I enjoyed the following documentaries:

BBC - The Cell (2009)
In a three-part series, Dr Adam Rutherford tells the extraordinary story of the scientific quest to discover the secrets of the cell and of life itself. Every living thing is made of cells, microscopic building blocks of almost unimaginable power and complexity.

Part 1: The Hidden Kingdom
The first part explores how centuries of scientific and religious dogma were overturned by the earliest discoveries of the existence of cells, and how scientists came to realize that there was, literally, more to life than meets the eye.
Part 2: The Chemistry of Life
This episode explores how scientists delved ever deeper into the world of the cell, seeking to reveal the magic ingredient that can spark a bundle of chemicals into life. Their discoveries have brought us to the brink of being able to create life for ourselves.
Part 3: The Spark of Life
The final part reveals how our knowledge of cells has brought us to the brink of one of the most important moments in history. Scientists are close to repeating what has happened only once in four billion years – the creation of a new life form.

BBC – The Gene Code (2011)
Dr Adam Rutherford takes the viewer on a rollercoaster ride as he explores the consequences of one of the biggest scientific projects of all time – the decoding of the entire human genome in 2000.

Part 1: The Book of Life
The Book of Life Adam discovers that every human carries the entire story of life on Earth hidden in his or her DNA and sees how we are all linked directly to the origins of life and to the first creatures with backbones. He also investigates the implications of the fact that for much of its existence, the human race was an endangered species.
Part 2: Unlocking the Code
Adam shows how decoding the genome has led us to begin to understand the very process by which our DNA makes us different; how it makes each one of us on Earth unique and influences who we are and the traits we have. He reveals how, as we try and understand the relationship between who we are and our genes, we stand at the beginning of the most exciting scientific journey of all time.

BBC is so wonderful.

Berkeley have lots of biology lectures on their webcasts too, I haven't watched any yet though.

1. What is the cell theory?

The cell theory is a scientific theory that explains the basic building blocks of all living organisms. It states that all living things are composed of one or more cells, that cells are the basic unit of life, and that all cells come from pre-existing cells.

2. What are some good documentaries on cell theory?

Some good documentaries on cell theory include "The Mystery of the Cell", "The Cell: A Visual Tour", and "The Inner Life of the Cell". These documentaries explore the history and discovery of the cell theory, as well as the structure and functions of cells in various organisms.

3. How does DNA relate to the cell theory?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is the genetic material found in all living cells. It is responsible for storing and transmitting genetic information, which is essential for the growth, development, and functioning of cells. Therefore, DNA is a crucial component of the cell theory, as it plays a vital role in the characteristics and functions of cells.

4. Are there any documentaries specifically about DNA?

Yes, there are many documentaries specifically about DNA, such as "The DNA Story", "DNA: The Secret of Life", and "Cracking the Code of Life". These documentaries explore the history and discovery of DNA, its structure and function, and its impact on various aspects of life, including evolution, disease, and forensics.

5. How can watching documentaries on cell theory and DNA benefit me?

Watching documentaries on cell theory and DNA can benefit you in several ways. Firstly, it can increase your knowledge and understanding of these fundamental concepts in biology. It can also inspire and spark your curiosity about the natural world and the amazing complexity of life. Additionally, it can help you appreciate the scientific process of discovery and the importance of continued research and advancements in these fields.