1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to buy a microscope Meiji MT 5000

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    I want to buy a microscope, and I want a really good one, and I want to do both dark field and phase contrast. I am looking at the Meiji MT 5000. I was wondering, what must be done to change from phase contrast to darkfield mode? Do I just need to change the objectives?

http://www.meijitechno.com/mt5000.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Microscopes

Just look at page 5 of their product brochure for the product details. I would suggest contacting the sales rep. if you want detailed information on the microscope.

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You don't mention how much you can spend. A "really good one" can cost anywhere from $2k to $200k.

Phase contrast requires specific objective lenses matched to specific filters in the condenser turret, and in general will not work with a darkfield setup (although if you know what you are doing you can fake it).

I am familiar with Meiji stereo scopes, but not their compound microscopes. There's a lot of resources on the web from enthusiasts and professionals; there's also listservers and printed materials. What are you trying to look at?

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed, how good does the microscope need to be. It entirely depends on what you want to do with the microscope. The 100x objective on our microscope already costs $5k, the total setup costs approximately $150k.

If you contact the company they might be able to give a demo (bring your own specimens).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?