I want to buy a microscope Meiji MT 5000

• Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, when looking for a microscope capable of both dark field and phase contrast, the Meiji MT 5000 is a good option to consider. To switch between these modes, specific objective lenses and filters in the condenser turret are required. Additionally, it is important to consider budget and the intended use for the microscope, as it can range from $2k to $200k. Contacting the company may also provide the opportunity for a demonstration with personal specimens.
jreelawg
I want to buy a microscope, and I want a really good one, and I want to do both dark field and phase contrast. I am looking at the Meiji MT 5000. I was wondering, what must be done to change from phase contrast to darkfield mode? Do I just need to change the objectives?

http://www.meijitechno.com/mt5000.htm

Biology news on Phys.org

Just look at page 5 of their product brochure for the product details. I would suggest contacting the sales rep. if you want detailed information on the microscope.

You don't mention how much you can spend. A "really good one" can cost anywhere from $2k to $200k.

Phase contrast requires specific objective lenses matched to specific filters in the condenser turret, and in general will not work with a darkfield setup (although if you know what you are doing you can fake it).

I am familiar with Meiji stereo scopes, but not their compound microscopes. There's a lot of resources on the web from enthusiasts and professionals; there's also listservers and printed materials. What are you trying to look at?

Andy Resnick said:
You don't mention how much you can spend. A "really good one" can cost anywhere from $2k to $200k.
Indeed, how good does the microscope need to be. It entirely depends on what you want to do with the microscope. The 100x objective on our microscope already costs $5k, the total setup costs approximately $150k.

If you contact the company they might be able to give a demo (bring your own specimens).

1. What are the specifications of the Meiji MT 5000 microscope?

The Meiji MT 5000 microscope has a magnification range of 40x-1000x, a built-in Koehler illumination system, and a trinocular head with a 23mm camera port. It also has a mechanical stage and a LED light source.

2. Can the Meiji MT 5000 microscope be used for both brightfield and phase contrast microscopy?

Yes, the Meiji MT 5000 microscope comes with both brightfield and phase contrast objectives, allowing for both types of microscopy to be performed.

3. Is the Meiji MT 5000 microscope suitable for professional use?

Yes, the Meiji MT 5000 microscope is a high-quality research-grade microscope designed for professional use in laboratories and research institutions.

4. Does the Meiji MT 5000 microscope come with a warranty?

Yes, the Meiji MT 5000 microscope comes with a 5-year manufacturer's warranty, providing peace of mind for the buyer.

5. Are there any additional accessories or parts that are necessary for using the Meiji MT 5000 microscope?

No, the Meiji MT 5000 microscope comes with all necessary accessories and parts, including eyepieces, objective lenses, and a power cord. However, additional accessories can be purchased separately for specific research needs.