I want to do research in Applied Physics, what should I do?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 15-year-old who is skilled in solving logic problems and has knowledge in college-level mathematics and physics. They express an interest in writing papers and pursuing research in applied physics. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to start by mastering basic physics and narrowing down the research field within the broad area of applied physics.
Willelm
I'm 15 years old and very good at solving hard logic problems. I know a little bit about college mathematics and physics, so I want to write papers.
After thinking a lot I think Applied Physics is a relative new area that has a lot opportunities, so I want to do research in it. What should I do? where can I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you can do well in applied physics, you should learn the basic physics and be good in it. So, I suggest that you start looking for a good high school or undergrad textbook in physics (I don't believe there is high school level manuscript on applied physics) and hone your physical intuition with it. Just an advice, applied physics is a broad field as you can find many things in nature that can be manipulated to be of use in our life. As you proceed in your long awaiting adventure, you may want to narrow down your research field into specific area of applied physics.

1. What is Applied Physics?

Applied Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles and theories to solve real-world problems and develop new technologies. It involves the study of various fields such as electronics, optics, materials science, and mechanics.

2. What skills do I need to have to do research in Applied Physics?

To do research in Applied Physics, you need to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. Additionally, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis are essential. Familiarity with computer programming and laboratory techniques is also beneficial.

3. How do I get started with research in Applied Physics?

The first step is to identify a specific area of Applied Physics that interests you. Then, you can start by reading research papers and books related to that area to gain a better understanding of the current state of research. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in the field to discuss potential research opportunities.

4. Do I need a graduate degree to do research in Applied Physics?

While a graduate degree is not always required, it is highly recommended for research in Applied Physics. A master's or doctoral degree will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to conduct research independently and advance in your career.

5. What are some potential research topics in Applied Physics?

There are numerous research topics in Applied Physics, and they vary depending on the specific field of study. Some examples include renewable energy technologies, nanotechnology, quantum computing, and biophysics. It is best to discuss potential research topics with your advisor or mentor to find a topic that aligns with your interests and skills.