1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to refresh my Precalculus using James Stewart's book but I got a question

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Hello people,

I want to refresh my Precalculus using James Stewart's book but I got a question about the exercises. I have bought the book and I will self study it. Do you think I should do all the exercises at the end of the chapters? How do you self study a book?

I am waiting for your answers friends.

Have a nice day!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2
    If you want to practice, do examples...Read the text too, if you are unsure about why things work the way they do

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    Hello Travis_King thanks for the answer.
    I will definitely do the exercises but there are many of them. Is there a website which shows the most important exercises?

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4
    Just pick a few problems from each section, if you can do them easily, move on. If you struggle some, do more problems. Just do problems until you are comfortable.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5
    I don't know about the pre-calc book, but with his calculus books I usually recommend skimming 1-5. These are usually general understanding questions that you should be able to know the answer to without doing calculations.

Then look at the heading. His questions are usually broken up into different style questions with the "real" questions being the last 5 or 10. I would try one from each category and if they seem easy try one or two of the last few questions. The higher number questions will take a while, but you will get more out of them. HOWEVER, if you are struggling, they will just make you want to quit math.

My only warning, don't do just the first 4 questions and assume you understand it all. In his calculus books, he does a very good job of making the problems progressively harder.

edit: There is probably a student solution manual that will be very helpful if you have no help other than the book.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  7. Jan 28, 2012 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you "have" a question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook