I want to spread life to space. What should I do?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lowerlowerhk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
lowerlowerhk
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Our Earth is going to be engulfed by the sun eventually. Urged by a primitive desire to continue life (human or not), I decided to devote my life to the said goal. I realized this is a risky, life-long endeavour with huge chance of achieving little at best. What is the best strategy for me? Should I become a scientist to invent discover new technology, or should I become CEO of a corporate-nation and then invest hugely on space exploration? Or should I become a head of state in order to mobilise resources of national scale? Or something else? From a utilitarian standpoint, which way is optimal?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Engulfed by the sun - only in a few billion years, just a little bit more than your lifespan so you probably won't see it happen.
I would worry, if you like to worry, about more immediate concerns of the present civilization and attempt some sort of address to those.
 
If one were able to predict what course might be the best, I suspect lots of people would have tried it already and some likely have tried it based on whatever answer they chose. Your question has no answer. Also, I agree w/ 256bits; your concern is premature and too early in terms of where we are with space-related technology.
 
First, swallow your pride and grandoise dreams. Then learn science. Get a STEM job. Find a nice girl/guy to start a family with. Have or adopt kids. Teach them to appreciate science so that they may teach their kids the same thing. Die happily in the knowledge that you did your part, since innovation and technological advancement is a collaborative effort and you've helped create a society willing to work on that.
 
Build a big ark which can hold a male and a female specimen of each species and... wait... this sounds vaguely familiar..:confused:. No, scrap the ark and listen to what Bandersnatch said above, I think that was a very good post.
 
About 2.5 tonnes of Viagra, ingested at once...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DataGG
Danger said:
About 2.5 tonnes of Viagra, ingested at once...
Too much ... that would make your hair stand straight up.
 
Danger said:
About 2.5 tonnes of Viagra, ingested at once...

Hahah :DD
 
phinds said:
Too much ... that would make your hair stand straight up.
Oh. So, all those men with spiky hair... I didn't realize.
In hindsight, it seems so obvious - the hairstyle arrival did coincide with Viagra hitting the markets.
 
Bandersnatch said:
Oh. So, all those men with spiky hair... I didn't realize.
In hindsight, it seems so obvious - the hairstyle arrival did coincide with Viagra hitting the markets.

Yeah, and Don King made the mistake of taking Viagra AND Rogaine and look what happened to HIM:
donking.jpg


EDIT: hm ... I'm thinking this thread has gotten a bit sidetracked and pretty soon now, a mod is going to jump in and smack the crap out of a couple of us:p
 
Well, the Op was answered, so yes, thread closed. (but the OT posts were funny)
 
Evo's thread closer could use some pills too.
:p
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo