What should I do in bachelor's if I want aerospace in master's?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best option for someone who wants to pursue a master's degree in aerospace engineering but is currently studying electronics and mechanical engineering in their bachelor's. The expert suggests that mechanical engineering would be a better option as it is closely related to aerospace engineering and many colleges treat it as a specialty within mechanical engineering. However, the decision ultimately depends on the individual's career goals and interests. The expert also mentions that a previous degree in a relevant field is necessary for pursuing a master's in aerospace engineering, and mechanical engineering may cover more of the required courses compared to electronics.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
I want to take up aerospace engg in my master's. But now I'm stuck with electronics and mechanical engg in my bachelor's. Which option would be better to opt in bachelor's, if I want to do aero in master's? Electronics or mechanical? Which of the two would help me more in aero? Is it that aero is comprised more of mechanics than electronics? Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical, without a doubt.

In many colleges and universities, aerospace engineering is a specialty within mechanical engineering. Even when they are treated as separate disciplines, the aerospace and mechanical engineering departments have a number of classes that are joint to both departments.

Thanks a lot for replying and your advice D H! The only problem is that electronics is having lot of scope at my college and boasts some of the best placements and job opportunities. Mechanical is ranked third after it. So every one's at it. If I do electronics, would it be a hard and tedious journey through aero?

I have a BSEE and I was very close to getting a masters in aerospace (got accepted, but chose to purse a different degree). The only stipulation was that I did have the knowledge nessisary to take the classes such as wing design, advanced fluid flow, etc. I would have had to stick with all controls and systems level classes. For me that wasn't a bad thing, however for you it may be.

What do you want to do with your degree? Do you want to do high level aircraft frame design? control systems? fluid flow? Engine design?

I actually once emailed the MIT Aero/Astro department. Here's what they said in the reply,

previous degree(s) earned in a relevant area such as aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering, mathematics, physics or computer science

So essentially, you can do aerospace after both majors. However, since (I think) Mechanical engineering programmes cover more of the courses required for Aerospace, I think it will be easier to transition from Mechanical to Aerospace than from Electronics to Aerospace.

Thanks for the replies.

donpacino said:
What do you want to do with your degree? Do you want to do high level aircraft frame design? control systems? fluid flow? Engine design?

I like all of them. But Engine design stands at the top.

1. What courses should I take in my bachelor's degree to prepare for a master's in aerospace?

To prepare for a master's degree in aerospace, it is recommended that you take courses in mathematics, physics, and engineering. This will provide you with a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of aerospace engineering.

2. Should I pursue a bachelor's degree in aerospace or a related field?

While a bachelor's degree in aerospace may be the most direct route to a master's in the same field, it is also possible to pursue a degree in a related field such as mechanical engineering or physics. It is important to choose a program that offers courses in aerospace-specific topics and allows for customization of your curriculum.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience during my bachelor's degree for a master's in aerospace?

Having research experience during your undergraduate studies can be beneficial for a master's in aerospace, as it will give you practical experience and allow you to explore your interests within the field. However, it is not a requirement and there are other ways to gain relevant experience such as internships or projects.

4. Should I focus on a specific area of aerospace in my bachelor's degree?

It is not necessary to specialize in a specific area of aerospace during your bachelor's degree, as a master's program will provide you with the opportunity to delve deeper into your interests. However, if you have a particular area of interest, it can be beneficial to take courses or complete projects related to that topic in your undergraduate studies.

5. What skills should I develop during my bachelor's degree to be successful in a master's in aerospace?

In addition to technical skills in mathematics, physics, and engineering, it is important to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills during your bachelor's degree. These skills are essential for success in a master's program and in the aerospace industry.