1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I do in bachelor's if I want aerospace in master's?

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

I want to take up aerospace engg in my master's. But now I'm stuck with electronics and mechanical engg in my bachelor's. Which option would be better to opt in bachelor's, if I want to do aero in master's? Electronics or mechanical? Which of the two would help me more in aero? Is it that aero is comprised more of mechanics than electronics? Thanks for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Mechanical, without a doubt.

In many colleges and universities, aerospace engineering is a specialty within mechanical engineering. Even when they are treated as separate disciplines, the aerospace and mechanical engineering departments have a number of classes that are joint to both departments.

4. Jun 5, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks a lot for replying and your advice D H! The only problem is that electronics is having lot of scope at my college and boasts some of the best placements and job opportunities. Mechanical is ranked third after it. So every one's at it. If I do electronics, would it be a hard and tedious journey through aero?

5. Jun 5, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

I have a BSEE and I was very close to getting a masters in aerospace (got accepted, but chose to purse a different degree). The only stipulation was that I did have the knowledge nessisary to take the classes such as wing design, advanced fluid flow, etc. I would have had to stick with all controls and systems level classes. For me that wasn't a bad thing, however for you it may be.

What do you want to do with your degree? Do you want to do high level aircraft frame design? control systems? fluid flow? Engine design?

6. Jun 6, 2014 #5

interhacker

Gold Member

I actually once emailed the MIT Aero/Astro department. Here's what they said in the reply,

So essentially, you can do aerospace after both majors. However, since (I think) Mechanical engineering programmes cover more of the courses required for Aerospace, I think it will be easier to transition from Mechanical to Aerospace than from Electronics to Aerospace.

7. Jun 7, 2014 #6

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks for the replies.

I like all of them. But Engine design stands at the top.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook