Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I was just thinking and wondering to myself How many of my fellow

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    I was just thinking and wondering to myself....How many of my fellow

I was just thinking and wondering to myself....How many of my fellow PFers have had either one and how long did you have to wear them, or still wearing them? Or did you have perfect teeth or need them and can't get them? Just an odd and random question that popped up while I was brushing my teeth.

I had them for 2 years and I am pretty faithful at wearing my retainers. I have only missed maybe a few days in the 5 years I have had them off. I don't want my teeth to ever look bad.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2
    Re: Braces/Retainers

I had braces for two and a half years upto last Feb. Now I sort of wear my retainer...

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wonder which is more costly .... retainers or other teeth straightners or cosmetic surgery that reforms your bone structure. BTW bone structure defines your face , including your teeth .... whether they stick out or not.

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

I never had them. I thought for a while I would need them, but then my teeth magically straightened themselves.

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5

Lucky you tribodg....

I think it's probably cheaper to have the braces and retainer combo. (roughly 4k) Surgery might be more, not sure. Oh and the greatest part for me, was that most people never knew and still don't know that I had braces. (Thank God for clear ones :biggrin:)

So GCT, are you saying we shouldn't make our teeth straigher and more rounded, because it changes us?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No , I was not being sarcastic , I was really wondering whether it would be simpler to have your bone structure reformed with cosmetic surgery - by altering your bone structure the teeth not only get straighter - or does it ? - but the whole lower part of your face gets optimized , if you simply want a more beautiful face why not go for the whole kaboodoole rather than soley straight teeth?

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7

Well, to realter my face totally would be way more money. Though, I guess would save time and money in the long run, but to see a pre-teen girl with a face surgery, it might look pretty bad...then who knows how I would have turned out, maybe even uglier than I am now.

9. Oct 6, 2008 #8

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a jaw that sticks out then simply cutting off some pieces of your jaw bone would improve your overall appearance. There is this mathematical theory of beauty that has been circulating out there , originally by the French it seems , that defines that ideal parameters of the face.

My question stems from pure curiosity , it isn't a suggestion for the path you take.

10. Oct 6, 2008 #9

My jaw was always in a good place, just my teeth were kinda crooked. I also had to have over 12 teeth removed, I have a small mouth and not enough toom for all my teeth.

I'm wondering if I should have waited to get them or if doing them the time I did was best?

Yeah, I know what you are saying, nor do I plan to go out and have any surgery.

11. Oct 6, 2008 #10

I used to have an under-bite.

12. Oct 6, 2008 #11

If people don't like me 'cos my teeth are skew, then they are sad little people. Like the orthodontist said, "If they don't cause any problem eating and when you talk, then there is little reason to change them". I agree.

13. Oct 6, 2008 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had about £15,000 worth of orthodontic work done when I was between about 8 and 16 (8 teeth removed, and about 5 different braces). Good old NHS.

14. Oct 6, 2008 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Umm - you're a cutie!

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13977&d=1210716332

15. Oct 6, 2008 #14

I wore braces for a couple of years as a child. My teeth grew nearly straight forward out of my mouth. I had 4 teeth pulled to make room for the others to get pulled back in. I was not diligent about putting the rubber bands in and that made the process take longer. But they did eventually straighten out and I'm a better man for it. When my wisdom teeth came in, they buckled the line of my bottom teeth slightly but not enough to make me want to fix it.

16. Oct 6, 2008 #15

Teeth/face look normal (or better) at least in that picture. Really don't know what's wrong with them.

Mine are normal (little non white -I don't really take care of them- and *upper ones are ahead by approximately 0.5-1 cm which must be due to my grinding problem* which still looks normal) but I have nighttime teeth grinding problem. Doctor said to get a teeth guard but that's too much work.

I am not thinking about teeth until I get old.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  17. Oct 6, 2008 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nope.. never worn braces, and never needed to. In fact, I've never had a tooth taken out, or a filling (which you yanks would probably call a cavity) :approve:

18. Oct 6, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

rootx, if you grind your teeth now as a young person, you may not have any teeth to think about when you're old - seriously.

19. Oct 6, 2008 #18

:rofl:

Yep, I just saw some pictures and they are scary! I think I do need to think about it sooner.

20. Oct 6, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the most perfect teeth ever seen by a dentist ever. So no I've never needed any of those things. Considering I'm now officially omnipotent that comes as no surprise.

21. Oct 6, 2008 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear that. You should see your doctor, or at least order some pills online.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?