1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ib extended essay about magnetic repulsion (maglev trains)

1. Mar 31, 2015 #1
    I have been trying to come up with a good question for my Ib extended essay which is a 4000 words essay about any physics topic of my choice. However, with this topic I need to come up with an experiment to further investigate this topic and write up an analysis and conclusion. I am really interested in the topic magnetic force and relating to the concept of magnetic levitation trains. However, some of the topics I came up with were too easy and there is no depth to write about it later in the lab work. I was wondering if anyone can help me to come up with an experiment with a more complex relationship between variables for magnetic force? Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2015 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've never seen anyone post an equation for the force between two dissimilar magnets.
    Something like that?

I'm not saying that no one has done this, but only that I've never been able to find it.

And after a quick google, it seems I'm not alone:

Still no answer.

4. Apr 1, 2015 #3
    Thank you! that sounds like a interesting topic, I will confirm this with my advisor!

5. Apr 1, 2015 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You'll either get an F, or become world famous.

Just kidding about the "F".

I've done lots of experiments with magnets.
    Sometimes I learn something useful, and sometimes, weird questions pop up.

For instance, how do you weigh a magnet?
    Magnets not only feel the pull of gravity, but are also pulled in the direction of the magnetic flux field of the Earth.
    And the magnetic field of the Earth, as I discovered, didn't point in the direction I thought it did.

Anyways, good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted