IBM's Roadrunner Energy Consumption

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy consumption of a supercomputer in gigawatt hours per year. The suggested method is to multiply the power consumption of 8.4402 GW by the number of hours in a year, which would result in 43.8 gigawatt hours per year. However, there is some confusion about whether this calculation accurately reflects the hourly consumption per year. The final conclusion is that the supercomputer typically consumes between 4 and 6 megawatts of power per year, equivalent to 43.8 gigawatt hours per year.
peripatein
Hello,

I am to find this supercomputer's energy consumption in GW/h a year.
I have found its consumption per hour to be 8.4402 GW/h.
How do I find the value per hour a year? Is it by simple multiplication by number of hrs a year (which doesn't seem right to me)?
Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found its consumption per hour to be 8.4402 GW/h

In other words it's power consumption is 8.4402 GW.

So yes, just multiply 8.4402 GW by the the number of hours in a year.

But wouldn't that be its power consumption a year, and not 'per hour a year?'

Are you sure you didn't find the computers energy consumption in Gigawatts and you are looking for gigawatt*hours/year?

I am quite positive. That value was calculated based on data gleaned from the Wikipedia article. You may double check; I could have made a mistake. But does the computer work all year round? Do any other variables change throughout the year? It seems simply multiplying it by 24*365 will be over simplifying it. Yet I could myself be wrong. Any advice?

"A modern supercomputer usually consumes between 4 and 6 megawatts—enough electricity to supply something like 5000 homes."

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/nextgeneration-supercomputers/0

5x 10^6 watts * 24 hr/ day* 365 days/yr =43.8 gigawatt*hr/yr

So yes, just multiply 8.4402 GW by the the number of hours in a year.

But wouldn't that be its power consumption a year...

No. Energy consumption per year...

Remember Power = Energy/Time

so

Power(GW) * Time(H) = Energy(GWH)

or in SI units...

Power(in Watts) * Time(in Seconds) = Energy(Joules)

I am slightly confused. Which should it be then? And how do I calculate the hourly consumption a year?

I am slightly confused. Which should it be then? And how do I calculate the hourly consumption a year?

Best avoid the expression "hourly consumption a year". If you want the know how much energy a super computer uses per year in "gigawatt hours" then RTW69 has the right answer...

"A modern supercomputer usually consumes between 4 and 6 megawatts—enough electricity to supply something like 5000 homes."

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/nextgeneration-supercomputers/0

5x 10^6 watts * 24 hr/ day* 365 days/yr =43.8 gigawatt*hr/yr

Thanks a lot!

1. What is IBM's Roadrunner Energy Consumption?

IBM's Roadrunner is a supercomputer that was built in 2008 for the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico. It was the first computer to reach a sustained performance of 1 Petaflop, or 1 quadrillion floating point operations per second. Its energy consumption refers to the amount of electricity it uses to power its operations.

2. How much energy does IBM's Roadrunner consume?

The energy consumption of IBM's Roadrunner has been estimated to be around 2.35 megawatts. This is equivalent to the energy used by about 2,000 average homes in the United States.

3. Is IBM's Roadrunner energy efficient?

Compared to other supercomputers of its time, IBM's Roadrunner was considered to be relatively energy efficient. It used a hybrid architecture that combined traditional CPUs with specialized graphics processing units (GPUs), allowing it to achieve high performance while using less energy.

4. Has IBM's Roadrunner's energy consumption been reduced over time?

Since its initial construction, IBM's Roadrunner has undergone several upgrades and modifications, including improvements to its energy efficiency. However, it still remains a high-energy consuming supercomputer due to its large size and processing power.

5. What impact does IBM's Roadrunner's energy consumption have on the environment?

The energy consumption of IBM's Roadrunner, like any large-scale computing system, has an impact on the environment. The electricity used to power the supercomputer contributes to carbon emissions and can contribute to climate change. However, with advancements in energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources, the environmental impact can be reduced.