1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IBM's Roadrunner Energy Consumption

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am to find this supercomputer's energy consumption in GW/h a year.
    I have found its consumption per hour to be 8.4402 GW/h.
    How do I find the value per hour a year? Is it by simple multiplication by number of hrs a year (which doesn't seem right to me)?
    Please advise.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In other words it's power consumption is 8.4402 GW.

So yes, just multiply 8.4402 GW by the the number of hours in a year.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    But wouldn't that be its power consumption a year, and not 'per hour a year?'

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4
    Are you sure you didn't find the computers energy consumption in Gigawatts and you are looking for gigawatt*hours/year?

6. Oct 28, 2012 #5
    I am quite positive. That value was calculated based on data gleaned from the Wikipedia article. You may double check; I could have made a mistake. But does the computer work all year round? Do any other variables change throughout the year? It seems simply multiplying it by 24*365 will be over simplifying it. Yet I could myself be wrong. Any advice?

7. Oct 28, 2012 #6
  8. Oct 28, 2012 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Energy consumption per year...

Remember Power = Energy/Time

so

Power(GW) * Time(H) = Energy(GWH)

or in SI units...

Power(in Watts) * Time(in Seconds) = Energy(Joules)

9. Oct 28, 2012 #8
    I am slightly confused. Which should it be then? And how do I calculate the hourly consumption a year?

10. Oct 28, 2012 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Best avoid the expression "hourly consumption a year". If you want the know how much energy a super computer uses per year in "gigawatt hours" then RTW69 has the right answer...

11. Oct 28, 2012 #10
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook