Ice melting when 20 g steam at 100°C is added

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
lilmul123
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A well-insulated bucket of negligible heat capacity contains 177 g of ice at 0°C.

(a) If 20 g of steam at 100°C is injected into the bucket, what is the final equilibrium temperature of the system? I've already solved this part to be 0 degrees Celsius.

(b) What mass of ice remains?


Homework Equations



Q = mc(deltaT)

m = Q/Lf



The Attempt at a Solution



From the example in the textbook, it seems I only have to find the heat necessary to cool the steam from 100 degrees to 0 degrees, and then divide this number by the latent heat of ice (333.5 kJ/kg). 2.02 is the specific heat of steam. So, I did (.02)(2.02)(100). This gave me a heat of 4.04 kJ. I then divided this number by the latent heat of ice, 333.5, and came out with an answer of .01211 kg. I converted this to g (12.11 g), and subtract this from 177. My final answer was 164.886457 g, but this is incorrect. Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Phase change for water is different going from steam to liquid and then to water:

Total energy change= that going from steam to water-that going to from 100 to zero degrees-and then that from going liquid to freezing.

There are three separate constants at work.