Calculate Heat Removed from 130 g Steam to Ice

  • Thread starter Thread starter jagged06
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Ice Steam
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
jagged06
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How much heat must be removed when 130 g of steam at 145°C is cooled and frozen into 130 g of ice at 0°C. (Take the specific heat of steam to be 2.01 kJ/kg·K.)

Answer is in kcal.

Homework Equations



sht.gif


The Attempt at a Solution



I know steam turns back into water at 100°C

Q1=C1m(deltaT)
Q1=(2010 J//kg·K)(.13kg)(418.15K-373.15K)

In the second part, instead of using the specific heat of steam, I used the specific heat of water= 4.186 joule/gram °C

Q2=C2m(deltaT)
Q2=(4.186 J/g·°C)(130g)(100°C)

I then added Q1 to Q2 and came up with an answer in Joules.
1 joule = 0.000239005736 kilocalories

But my answer is wrong. Anyone see what I missed? Probably a conversion issue.
 
Physics news on Phys.org