Ice sticking to the mould problem.

• Thread starter ciarandunlevy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with ice sticking to a mould made with alginate for an art project. The suggestion is to try using a cooking spray or WD-40 to prevent water absorption and help with the release of the mould. Other alternatives such as Teflon, "Scotch-Gard," and silicon spray lubricant are also mentioned as potential solutions.
ciarandunlevy
Hi, having a problem with the ice sticking to the mould. I have to use alginate for the mould and when the water freezes, so does the alginate.The moulds are part of my art project and they take amazing detail. I don't know whether I'm making sense here but is it possible to use something in between them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alginate is capable of absorbing water and probably does so until the water freezes. You might want to try coating the inside of the mold with a light coating of PAM or some other cooking spray to see if that will block the absorption of water, so the mold will release after freezing.

Cool thanks a million for your time, I will try that one tonight.

Still having problems

Well I tried cooking oil, couldn't get a spray and the oil just rose to the top of the water. Is there anything else that might work. I was even thinking is there anything other than water that would create a clear mould?

Would Teflon or "Scotch-Gard" work?

Try WD-40. I'm not sure that it will work, but it is, after all, a Water Displacement formulation.

How about silicon spray lubricant?

1. Why does ice stick to the mould?

Ice sticks to the mould due to the process of freezing, which causes water molecules to form bonds with the surface of the mould. When the temperature drops, the water molecules on the surface of the ice start to freeze, creating a bond between the ice and the mould.

2. How can I prevent ice from sticking to the mould?

To prevent ice from sticking to the mould, you can try coating the mould with a thin layer of oil or cooking spray before pouring in the liquid. This will create a barrier between the ice and the mould, making it easier to remove the ice once it is frozen.

3. Does the type of mould affect how easily ice sticks to it?

Yes, the type of mould can affect how easily ice sticks to it. Moulds with smooth surfaces tend to have less surface area for the ice to bond with, making it easier to remove the ice. On the other hand, moulds with textured or rough surfaces may have more surface area for the ice to stick to, making it harder to remove.

4. Can the temperature of the liquid affect how easily ice sticks to the mould?

Yes, the temperature of the liquid can affect how easily ice sticks to the mould. If the liquid is too cold, it can cause the ice to freeze faster and create a stronger bond with the mould. If the liquid is too warm, it can cause the ice to stick to the mould as it starts to melt.

5. How can I remove ice that is stuck to the mould?

If the ice is stuck to the mould, you can try running warm water over the outside of the mould to loosen the ice. You can also try gently tapping the mould on a flat surface to loosen the ice. If these methods do not work, you can try using a knife or spatula to carefully separate the ice from the mould.