Idea behind the series expansions

In summary, series expansions, particularly Taylor expansions, are used as a key analytical tool in understanding physical phenomena. They are especially useful for solving differential equations and extending functions to different domains. They allow us to derive equations for coefficients and evaluate functions for complex numbers or matrices.
torehan
Hi,
In general, for most of the physical phenomenon, somewhere in the analytical procedure while developing the theory of the phenomenon, series expansions used (generally Taylor expansion) which is a key point of the analytical steps.

My question is why we should use such expansions I mean what is the general purpose of the these expansions?

Torehan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Polynomials, and their extension, power series, are the easiest kind of functions!

For example, to solve the differential equation, y''+ xy= 0, I can think of y as a power series, [itex]y= \sum a_nx^n[/itex], and differentiate "term by term": [itex]y'= \sum na_n x^{n-1}[/itex] and [itex]y''= \sum n(n-1)x^{n-2}[/itex].

Putting those into the differential equation,
[tex]\sum_{n= 2}^\infty n(n-1)a_n x^{n-2}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+1}= 0[/tex]
If we change the index in the first sum to i= n-2 it becomes
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty (i+2)(i+1)a_{i+2}x^i[/tex]
Changing the index in the second sum to i= n+ 1 we get
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty a_{i- 1} a_{i- 1}x^i[/tex]
The equation becomes
[tex]2a_0+ \sum_{i=1}^\infty \left[(i+2)(i+1)a_{i+ 2}+ a_{i-1}\right]x^i= 0[/tex]
A polynomial or power series is equal to 0 for all x if and only if every coefficient is equal to 0. Setting each coefficient of that power series equal to 0 allows us to derive equations for the original coefficients, an.

Another important application of power series is to extend functions to different "domains". We typically learn how to evaluate functions like cos(x) or 3x for x any real number in secondary school. But suppose x is a complex number or a matrix. What would cos(x) or 3x be then? Answer- right the functions as power series in x. We know how to add and multiply complex numbers and matrices so we can evaluate such power series.

What is the idea behind series expansions?

The idea behind series expansions is to represent a mathematical function as a sum of simpler functions. This allows for more efficient calculations and easier analysis of the original function.

What is a Taylor series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a type of series expansion that represents a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives evaluated at a specific point. It is named after British mathematician Brook Taylor.

What is a Maclaurin series expansion?

A Maclaurin series expansion is a special case of a Taylor series expansion where the function is centered at the point x=0. This means that the derivatives at x=0 are used to represent the function, making the calculations simpler.

What are the applications of series expansions?

Series expansions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and analyze the behavior of complex systems.

What are some common examples of series expansions?

Some common examples of series expansions include the Maclaurin series for trigonometric functions, the Taylor series for exponential and logarithmic functions, and the Fourier series for periodic functions. These expansions are used extensively in calculus and other branches of mathematics.