1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal 2-D Gas and Micro-Canonical Ensemble

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.a. analyze an ideal gas in a two dimensional world using micro-canonical ensemble. Specifically, find the equation of state (surface tension and area will replace pressure and volume) and also the energy as a function of temperature. b. modify the equation to create a “van der Waal” – like equation for this two dimensional gas. c. compute the energy of this van der waal gas (assume a constant heat capacity at constant area).

2. Relevant equations
    I know the obvious eqns for an ideal gas, but I dont know how to start this problem

3. The attempt at a solution

First, how can I apply micro-canonical ensemble to a gas with N particles, I thought that it should be canonical ensemble to a system with this order of magnitude? Second, what do they mean by a "in a 2-D world," besides the obvious that its 2-D, what kind of a system is it? Any suggestions on how to start the problem would be most welcome!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What order of magnitude are you talking about? AFAIR, the three ensebles considered in stat mech were:
    1) micro-canonical: the easiest, defined as constant N, V, and E
    2) canonical: more realistic version of mechanically contained ensemble, defined as constant N, but E (and V?) can vary
    3) grand canonical: most general in the sense that N can also vary

I don't see any inconsistency in stating that the system is a micro-canonical ensemble; just think of it as a gas in a perfectly insulted, rigid container with no leaks.

This will effect the density of states (and, of course, the meaning of volume).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?