Ideal gas subject to central potential [Statistical Mech]

In summary, the problem says that when calculating the pressure of a gas using the Hamiltonian, one may get a pressure of zero if the volume of the gas is not included in the calculation.
Telemachus
The problem says: Consider an ideal gas of N particles in a spherical vessel of radius R. A force acts directly over the molecules and is directly proportional to the distance to the center of the sphere ##V(r)=\alpha r##. Calculate the pressure of the gas, and the density of particles at the surface.

So I set the Hamiltonian: ##\displaystyle H= \sum_i^N \frac{p_i^2}{2m}+\sum_i^N \alpha r_i##

Then, as the potential is independent of the momentum, I can take ##Z=\frac{1}{N!}Z_1^N##, where ##Z_1## represents the partition function for only one molecule.

Then:

##\displaystyle Z_1=\frac{1}{h^3}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-\beta \frac{p^2}{2m}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R} dr d \phi d \theta r^2 \sin \theta e^{-\beta \alpha r}##

Now, the pressure in the canonical ensemble is proportional to the derivative with respect to the volume of the natural logarithm of the partition function. And the thing is I don't have any volume anywhere in there (I've done the integral, and I don't get the volume), so I get a pressure equal to zero. Something is wrong with what I've done.

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how the ##\int_0^R r^2 e^{-\beta\alpha r}## does not leave some power of R in Z ?

Likes 1 person
BvU is correct. You should end up with terms like exp(-R) and polynomials in R. Since it's a sphere you know that R is proportional to the cube root of the volume.

Likes 1 person
The integral gives: ##\displaystyle 4\pi \frac{e^{-\beta \alpha R}}{(\beta \alpha)^3} \left [ (\beta \alpha R)^2+ 2 \beta \alpha R + 2\right ]##

Now, the volume of the sphere is ##V=\frac{4\pi}{3}R^3## I could arrange this to get the volume in the polynomials of R:

##\displaystyle Z_1=\left ( \frac{2\pi m}{\beta h^2} \right ) \frac{\exp\left [-\beta \alpha \frac{3}{4 \pi R^2}V\right ]}{(\beta \alpha)^3}\displaystyle \left [ (\beta \alpha)^2\frac{3}{R}V+ 2 \beta \alpha \frac{3}{R^2}V + 2\right ]##

I've used that ##R=\frac{4\pi}{3}R^3 \frac{3}{4 \pi R^3}R=V\frac{3}{4 \pi R^2}##

And then the pŕessure ##\displaystyle p=k_B T \frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial V}##

Is that right?

Last edited:
You would really want to eliminate R--in favor of a term like V^(1/3)--from the expression entirely. It's also probably easier to use the chain rule here. Take a derivative with respect to R and then multiply by dR/dV.

Likes 1 person
Yes. I thought it was a bad idea to have all those R all around, but I didn't want to introduce the cube root neither :P

Thanks.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a gas at the molecular level. It assumes that the gas molecules are point particles that do not interact with each other and only interact with the walls of their container.

2. What is a central potential?

A central potential is a type of potential energy that depends only on the distance from the center of an object. In the context of gases, it is often used to describe the interactions between gas molecules, where the potential energy depends on their distance from each other.

3. How is statistical mechanics related to ideal gases?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles, such as gas molecules. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the macroscopic properties of ideal gases, such as pressure and temperature, based on the behavior of individual gas molecules.

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature.

5. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical model that assumes ideal conditions, such as point particles and no intermolecular interactions. In reality, real gases deviate from this ideal behavior due to factors such as molecular size and intermolecular forces. Real gases also have a non-zero volume and may condense into liquids at low temperatures and high pressures.