1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas subject to central potential [Statistical Mech]

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    The problem says: Consider an ideal gas of N particles in a spherical vessel of radius R. A force acts directly over the molecules and is directly proportional to the distance to the center of the sphere ##V(r)=\alpha r##. Calculate the pressure of the gas, and the density of particles at the surface.

So I set the Hamiltonian: ##\displaystyle H= \sum_i^N \frac{p_i^2}{2m}+\sum_i^N \alpha r_i##

Then, as the potential is independent of the momentum, I can take ##Z=\frac{1}{N!}Z_1^N##, where ##Z_1## represents the partition function for only one molecule.

Then:

##\displaystyle Z_1=\frac{1}{h^3}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-\beta \frac{p^2}{2m}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R} dr d \phi d \theta r^2 \sin \theta e^{-\beta \alpha r}##

Now, the pressure in the canonical ensemble is proportional to the derivative with respect to the volume of the natural logarithm of the partition function. And the thing is I don't have any volume anywhere in there (I've done the integral, and I don't get the volume), so I get a pressure equal to zero. Something is wrong with what I've done.

Help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show how the ##\int_0^R r^2 e^{-\beta\alpha r}## does not leave some power of R in Z ?

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    BvU is correct. You should end up with terms like exp(-R) and polynomials in R. Since it's a sphere you know that R is proportional to the cube root of the volume.

5. Mar 14, 2014 #4
    The integral gives: ##\displaystyle 4\pi \frac{e^{-\beta \alpha R}}{(\beta \alpha)^3} \left [ (\beta \alpha R)^2+ 2 \beta \alpha R + 2\right ]##

Now, the volume of the sphere is ##V=\frac{4\pi}{3}R^3## I could arrange this to get the volume in the polynomials of R:

##\displaystyle Z_1=\left ( \frac{2\pi m}{\beta h^2} \right ) \frac{\exp\left [-\beta \alpha \frac{3}{4 \pi R^2}V\right ]}{(\beta \alpha)^3}\displaystyle \left [ (\beta \alpha)^2\frac{3}{R}V+ 2 \beta \alpha \frac{3}{R^2}V + 2\right ]##

I've used that ##R=\frac{4\pi}{3}R^3 \frac{3}{4 \pi R^3}R=V\frac{3}{4 \pi R^2}##

And then the pŕessure ##\displaystyle p=k_B T \frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial V}##

Is that right?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  6. Mar 14, 2014 #5
    You would really want to eliminate R--in favor of a term like V^(1/3)--from the expression entirely. It's also probably easier to use the chain rule here. Take a derivative with respect to R and then multiply by dR/dV.

7. Mar 14, 2014 #6
    Yes. I thought it was a bad idea to have all those R all around, but I didn't want to introduce the cube root neither :P

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted