Ideal gas: Temperture at 1 atm

In summary, the total internal energy of an ideal gas is 3770 J. Using the formula U=3/2*n*R*T, with 3 moles of the gas at 1 atm, the calculated temperature is 101 K. However, the correct temperature should be 303 K. This suggests that there may be a mistake in the given information or the calculation.
Baronen
Summary: U=3/2*n*R*T

Can some of you help me with this

The total internal energy of an ideal gas is 3770 J. If there are 3 moles of the gas at 1 atm, what is the temperature of the gas?

I use U=3/2*n*R*T but get the wrong answer, (101 K) but it should be 303 K

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Baronen said:
Summary: U=3/2*n*R*T

Can some of you help me with this

The total internal energy of an ideal gas is 3770 J. If there are 3 moles of the gas at 1 atm, what is the temperature of the gas?

I use U=3/2*n*R*T but get the wrong answer, (101 K) but it should be 303 K

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]
Hi Baronen
The only thing I can think of is with this line.
The total internal energy of an ideal gas is 3770 J

Does it say 3770J,
or
3770 J/mole
Otherwise I get the same answer as you.

Hey 256Bits

Thanks for the reply.

The question is formed as stated above.
But if you look at it, would a idealgas be 101 K at 1 atm if you have 3 moles of it (that is very cold).

Baronen

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. It follows the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How does temperature affect an ideal gas at 1 atm?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature and pressure are directly proportional, meaning that as temperature increases, so does pressure. Therefore, at a constant pressure of 1 atm, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in volume.

3. Why is 1 atm commonly used in relation to ideal gases?

1 atm, or atmosphere, is a standard unit of pressure commonly used in relation to gases. It is approximately equal to the average pressure of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level. Using this standard pressure allows for easier comparison and calculation of gas properties.

4. What is the significance of measuring temperature in Kelvin for ideal gases at 1 atm?

Kelvin is the standard unit of temperature used in ideal gas calculations because it is an absolute temperature scale. This means that it starts at absolute zero, the theoretical temperature at which particles have zero kinetic energy. This allows for more accurate and consistent calculations.

5. Can an ideal gas exist in real life?

No, an ideal gas is a theoretical concept that does not exist in real life. All gases have some volume and exhibit some intermolecular forces, making them deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures. However, many gases behave similarly to an ideal gas under certain conditions.