Ideas for a Quick Physical Chemistry project

In summary, the conversation revolved around ideas for a quick computational project in physical chemistry. The speaker, a Physics major, was looking for something related to physics and energy levels. They mentioned using the Spartan P-Chem software and asked for suggestions from others. Another person suggested looking at the computational chemistry page on Wikipedia for ideas, specifically in the area of quantum chemistry. This sparked the speaker's interest, particularly in the concept of electron holes. They planned to consult their professor for more specific project ideas.
GTdan
My professor asked us to think of ideas to do a quick computational project in physical chemistry (he says quick because there are only a few weeks of school left). I will be using the student edition of the Spartan P-Chem software. I really don't have any idea what I should do. I prefer something as closely related to physics as possible given that I am a Physics major. Maybe something related to energy levels, particle in a box, potential well stuff? I don't know. Ideas anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has no one ever used Spartan or something to do computational chemistry?

I'm not much help, but the computational chemistry write-up at wikipedia.org is interesting for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_chemistry

Also, they have a pretty good list of topics in physical chemistry, including quantum chemistry. Do you see anything in the wikipedia lists that looks like a good candidate for your project?

Hmmm. Actually, I think that may have helped. The part where it relates it to solid state physics had a few links that kind of sparked my interest. Electron holes sounded good. I'll probably ask my professor about it so see if he can suggest something specific that I can do in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks!

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level. It involves the application of principles from physics, mathematics, and thermodynamics to understand and explain chemical phenomena.

2. What are some ideas for a quick physical chemistry project?

Some ideas for quick physical chemistry projects could include investigating the effect of temperature on the rate of a chemical reaction, studying the solubility of different substances in water, or exploring the properties of different types of acids and bases.

3. How can I make a physical chemistry project more interactive?

To make a physical chemistry project more interactive, you can incorporate hands-on experiments, demonstrations, and simulations. You can also encourage audience participation and discussion by asking questions and providing opportunities for students to share their own ideas and observations.

4. What are some resources for finding physical chemistry project ideas?

There are many resources available for finding physical chemistry project ideas, such as science websites, textbooks, and scientific journals. You can also attend science fairs, conferences, and workshops to learn about current research and innovative projects in the field.

5. How can I ensure the safety of a physical chemistry project?

To ensure the safety of a physical chemistry project, make sure to carefully read and follow all instructions and precautions for handling chemicals and equipment. Wear appropriate safety gear, such as goggles and gloves, and conduct the experiment in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to have a first aid kit and emergency contact information readily available.