Need Guidance in a Chemistry Related Project

In summary, the student is looking for suggestions for a project and a nudge in the general direction of what to research. He is interested in researching chemical reactions that occur in the brain, water, and nanotechnology. He is unsure of what to do the project on and is looking for something simpler. He is also looking for help clarifying questions surrounding the project.
roym6
Hello,
I am a student with a chemistry project. However, I am not quite sure what I would like to do the project on. I am fairly ignorant when it comes the recent findings and happenings of the chemistry world. Some of my areas of interest would be biochemical, nuclear, and energy related fields. However, I should probably tell you my prompt :D

-The project should use science publications/journals
-The project must focus on chemistry, deviation will result in loss of points
-Presentation should be 15 minutes long and have an introduction as well as a discussion of the specifics

Basically, what I'm asking for are some suggestions for a project and a nudge in the general direction(links to journals and publishings).

One of my first ideas was to research chemical reactions that occur in the brain, but I wasn't able to find many articles that went into detail as well as my lack of in-depth knowledge on the workings of the brain. So I'm looking for something a bit simpler, unless someone can point me to some articles and help clear up the questions that I have.

If you need me to clear up questions surrounding the project please feel free to ask.

PS I didn't know if this could be posted in the Chemistry forum so I posted in the HW help section. If a moderator could please move it to the correct location if this is not it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is for a college class, yes? If so, your school has access to, say, Gaussian? If so, you could do a computational project. Those are very approachable.

No, I probably should have specified, forgive me. I am a junior in High school. My resources are the internet, the library, and my Thomson 8th Edition Chemistry book.

roym6 said:
No, I probably should have specified, forgive me. I am a junior in High school. My resources are the internet, the library, and my Thomson 8th Edition Chemistry book.
I just figured if they wanted you to use publications/journals it meant college. Did your teacher give an example of the journals she expects you to use?

You could look through 'Science' for topics that interest you. Those are nontechnical journals.

Another project idea is to discuss water and its different forms. Water is known to have about (dont quote me on the exact number) 17 different phases and there is currently a lot of research into figuring out more about how water bonds in bulk. One interesting example is the water hexamer (H2O)6 - it's the smallest water network that has a cage structure as a stable state.

Jorriss said:
I just figured if they wanted you to use publications/journals it meant college. Did your teacher give an example of the journals she expects you to use?

You could look through 'Science' for topics that interest you. Those are nontechnical journals.

Another project idea is to discuss water and its different forms. Water is known to have about (dont quote me on the exact number) 17 different phases and there is currently a lot of research into figuring out more about how water bonds in bulk. One interesting example is the water hexamer (H2O)6 - it's the smallest water network that has a cage structure as a stable state.

Well, it is an AP class so that might be the reason why.

Well, he asks for original journal article references, I'm not 100% sure on what that might mean.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look into it. However, if you have another suggestion then please post it, the more the merrier :D

As I was researching I came across an article that mentioned nano-techonology, and I wanted to know if there is a link between chemistry and nanotechnology. Any input would be appreciated, especially links to journals or articles.

Thank you.Edit: I have finally decided on a subject-Nuclear Fusion. I will ask my teacher how in-depth my project will have to be, but i want to tie in the sun and future use of nuclear fusion for energy.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
That looks very interesting! Although your second link doesn't work.

Link corrected.

Related to Need Guidance in a Chemistry Related Project

1. What is the first step in starting a chemistry-related project?

The first step in starting a chemistry-related project is to define your research question or hypothesis. This will help guide your project and determine the specific goals and objectives you want to achieve.

2. How do I choose a topic for my chemistry project?

When choosing a topic for your chemistry project, it is important to consider your interests and strengths. You can also look for current research topics in the field, consult with your teacher or mentor, and brainstorm ideas based on real-world applications of chemistry.

3. What materials and equipment do I need for a chemistry project?

The materials and equipment you need for a chemistry project will depend on your specific project and research question. However, some common materials and equipment used in chemistry projects include laboratory glassware, chemicals, measuring tools, and safety equipment.

4. How can I ensure the safety of my chemistry project?

Safety should always be a top priority in any chemistry project. Before starting your project, make sure to familiarize yourself with the potential hazards of the materials and equipment you will be using. Always follow proper safety protocols, wear appropriate protective gear, and have a first aid kit on hand.

5. What are some tips for presenting my chemistry project?

When presenting your chemistry project, it is important to be organized, clear, and confident. Use visuals such as graphs and charts to enhance your presentation, and be prepared to answer questions from your audience. Practice your presentation beforehand and make sure to stay within the allotted time frame.