Identifying Meteorites: Differentiating Between Extraterrestrial and Earth Rocks

In summary: That is what I understand also, very long odds of this being a meteorite but it is a peculiar piece of rock, somewhere between igneous and metamorphic. If it turned out to be a real meteorite it would probably...If it turned out to be a real meteorite it would probably be worth a lot of money.
256bits said:
Too far away to run to keep up with it to see it hit the ground. Superman maybe.

many many meteorites are recovered after seeing the fall ( the flash across the sky)
I even have 2 friends here in Australia that make major efforts to get a bearing on the fall direction
etc so they can work out the approx. location of the fall then go and see if they can find anything

tis something guys do all over the world :smile:

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
davenn said:
many many meteorites are recovered after seeing the fall ( the flash across the sky)
I even have 2 friends here in Australia that make major efforts to get a bearing on the fall direction
etc so they can work out the approx. location of the fall then go and see if they can find anything

tis something guys do all over the world :smile:
Howdy, :smile: I read recently about some guys making a great find at Lake Eyre not long ago using that method, What luck!

Likes davenn
From the site I got the flowchart from.
met coment.PNG

Likes davenn
"True lies" ... wasn't that an Arnie movie ?? hahahaha

Likes 1oldman2
this is worth mentioning,
A statistical study of the rates of meteorite falls (5) suggests approximately 17 meteorites >0.1 kilograms (0.22 pounds) in size fall in Arizona, or an area of equal size, each year. Two to three of these samples weigh >1 kilograms (2.2 pounds) and are about the size of your fist. A meteorite weighing >10 kilograms (22 pounds) falls every 2 to 3 years. Thus, from the turn of the century, approximately 240 meteorites >1 kilograms in size are believed to have fallen in Arizona. Since Father Kino first arrived in the Tucson area (1687), approximately 790 meteorites >1 kilograms in size are believed to have fallen in Arizona. Of this large number of meteorites, only 32 have been recovered, and only 1 of these (the Holbrook http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kring/epo_web/meteorites/falls.htmlmeteorite ) was observed to fall (2).
which is the ,
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/
( Lunar and Planet Institute, Houston, Tx )

By Arizona, they mean any surface area the size of Arizona.
Going by that, generally, 1 out of every 32 meteorites collected have been falls.
And as mentioned, luck is part of being at the right place at the right time.

Tracking the meteor path( fireball ) across the sky can give an indication of where it originated in the solar system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2
Fervent Freyja said:
Oh, I wasn't aware that Old Man had gotten results back confirming it actually is a meteorite or iron nodule or that you have taken over his thread and reestablished the topic.

I made a decent attempt to fully answer his post to the best of my ability at the time (although I'm now on the fence). He made it clear that any opinions were welcome and so far hasn't discounted peoples efforts to answer the thread (like you just did to mine).
I can well imagine that people find a rock, note its odd shape, texture, look and feel, and conclude it has to have come from no where else than from space.

Likes Fervent Freyja
256bits said:
I can well imagine that people find a rock, note its odd shape, texture, look and feel, and conclude it has to have come from no where else than from space.

uh huh
I regularly get people coming to me with rocks and asking if they are a meteorites

Likes 1oldman2
256bits said:
Hi, :smile: Odds are extremely good (Astronomically actually) that the rock I opened the thread with will check out to be an iron nodule, I look at it as lottery winning odds, however as they say "someones got to win" so its worth checking out. I guess in the long run (very long run) its true all rocks as well as the rest of Earths elements do actually come from space, all I'm sure of at the moment is its definitely not a piece of bitumen.
An interesting look at reported meteorite finds in the US http://meteorites.wustl.edu/numbers_by_state.htm
Cheers all.

davenn said:
uh huh
I regularly get people coming to me with rocks and asking if they are a meteorites
Just curious, have any of the rocks people have brought you turned out to be meteorites?

1oldman2 said:
Just curious, have any of the rocks people have brought you turned out to be meteorites?

no :smile: from memory, there was only one that looked remotely like a meteorite once I finally saw it "in the flesh" but wasnt
the others were easily dismissedDave

Likes 1oldman2
If it is, indeed, iron, then the streak test (rubbing it on unglazed porcelain, like the underside of a toilet lid or the back of a porcelain tile) is a pretty strong indicator. If it's terrestrial iron, it will either leave a dark gray streak (magnetite) or a blood red streak (hematite). A meteorite should leave no streak at all (as long as you are rubbing a clean part of it, not any rust that may have formed on the surface after it sat on the ground for years/centuries). So, file a clean spot first, then do your streak.

Likes 1oldman2 and Hoophy
I found something very similar softball sized parts were magnetic and weighed over 3700 grams and took it to the local college geology department and was told by the professor hey wasn't sure but thought it was banded iron. I still think I'll get a second opinion but your pic looks very much like what I found.

Likes 1oldman2