Identification test for Rochelle Salt?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
Hi, I have a high school student who supposedly synthesized a large quantity of Rochelle salt. I was looking for a conclusive chemical test to verify that it was indeed produced. This isn't because I actually suspect anything weird in the student project, its only for educational purposes.

There is of course the test for piezoelectricity using an oscilloscope (which they are intending on including) but I was hoping there might be something else conclusive out there. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@Tom.G 's answer is a good one. I'll just add that it's all going to depend on what tests/equipment you and the student have available and how accurate you want to get. If you're trying to tell the difference between Rochelle's salt (sodium potassium tartrate) and e.g., sodium tartrate without potassium, that's going to be more difficult than if you're trying to tell the difference between Rochelle's salt and e.g., sodium chloride.

Some other easy tests (though not necessarily definitive by themselves) include things like melting point, density, solubility, etc.