Identify Gas based on Temperature and Speed of Sound

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
infinitas
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
So the question is, How would I go about identifying an unknown monatomic gas if you have measured its temperature and the speed of sound in the gas.

I was thinking of using the ideal gas law to determine mass of a single molecule in kilograms or its molar mass, then from there somehow calculate its atomic mass? Am I going in the right direction? If so, I'm not sure how to get from its molecular mass to its atomic mass.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/sound/souspe3.html" instead...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Right. I know how to calculate M. The issue is getting from M to the actual element.
 
Use http://www.webelements.com/"
 
Last edited by a moderator: