Why are the constants a and b independent of temperature in gas properties?

• Thread starter subhradeep mahata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary: The ideal gas equation PV=nRT is a good approximation for gases in the thermodynamic equilibrium state. However, there are forces between the molecules that reduce the pressure. So, in a real gas there is a small, almost always attractive, force between the molecules that reduces the pressure.Google intramolecular forces, van der Waals force, Lennard Jones potentialAs long as all electrons are in their ground state "volume" of the molecules and strength of intermolecular forces can be assumed constant (that's not entirely true, but it is quite a good approximation). In temperatures where the VdV equation is used electrons don't get excited.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

My book says that the constants a and b are characteristic properties of a gas, and they do not depend on temperature. But i am having trouble understanding it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know, a = ΔP*V2 / n2 , but volume is temperature dependent, so how can a be temperature independent? One explanation can be that as V increases then ΔP will decrease, so that the ratio remains constant, but i am not sure.
Similarly as I increase the temperature, volume will increase, hence b decreases, as the gas approaches ideality. Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

subhradeep mahata said:
but volume is temperature dependent
indeed it is. But that is a 'different volume'.

the ##b## in the van der Waals equation of state refers to the 'actual' volume of the molecules themselves. In other words: the equivalent volume of the molecules if they are considered as hard spheres. The volume the gas assumes under a given pressure and at a given temperature is much greater: most of that is simply empty space trough which the molecules move at considerable speeds. ##b## follows when you go to zero Kelvin and classically the molecules don't move any more.

##a## is a first correction on the pressure: in the ideal gas law there are no intermolecular forces and ##pV = nRT##. In a real gas there is a small, almost always attractive, force between the molecules that reduces the pressure.

Okay, i understood the case of b.
But i need some clarifications regarding a.
If temperature increases, won't the intermolecular force and hence 'a' decrease ?

Last edited:
The forces decrease because the intramolecular distances increase. The effect on the pressure in lowest order is best approximated with ##a\displaystyle \left ( n\over V \right )^2 \ .##

Google intramolecular forces, van der Waals force, Lennard Jones potential

As long as all electrons are in their ground state "volume" of the molecules and strength of intermolecular forces can be assumed constant (that's not entirely true, but it is quite a good approximation). In temperatures where the VdV equation is used electrons don't get excited.

subhradeep mahata said:

Homework Statement

My book says that the constants a and b are characteristic properties of a gas, and they do not depend on temperature. But i am having trouble understanding it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know, a = ΔP*V2 / n2 , but volume is temperature dependent, so how can a be temperature independent? One explanation can be that as V increases then ΔP will decrease, so that the ratio remains constant, but i am not sure.
By your mathematical rationale, in the ideal gas equation PV=nRT, the ideal gas constant R should be a function of the pressure, the volume, the number of moles, and the temperature. Is that correct?

1. What are Van der Waal's constants?

Van der Waal's constants are empirical values used in the Van der Waal equation to describe the behavior of real gases. They were developed by Dutch scientist Johannes Diderik van der Waals in the late 19th century as a correction to the ideal gas law.

2. What is the significance of Van der Waal's constants?

Van der Waal's constants are important because they allow us to better understand and predict the behavior of real gases, which do not behave exactly like ideal gases. They help to account for the attractive and repulsive forces between gas molecules, which are not accounted for in the ideal gas law.

3. How are Van der Waal's constants determined?

Van der Waal's constants are determined experimentally by measuring the properties of real gases, such as their pressure, volume, and temperature, and then fitting them to the Van der Waal equation. This equation includes two constants, a and b, which are specific to each gas and are determined through these experiments.

4. What are the units of Van der Waal's constants?

The units of Van der Waal's constants depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the Van der Waal equation. Generally, the units for a are atm L^2/mol^2 and the units for b are L/mol. However, different units may be used depending on the specific application.

5. How do Van der Waal's constants differ from the ideal gas law constants?

The ideal gas law constants, R and Vm, are universal constants that apply to all ideal gases, whereas Van der Waal's constants, a and b, are specific to each gas. Additionally, the ideal gas law does not account for the intermolecular forces between gas molecules, while Van der Waal's constants do. This makes the Van der Waal equation more accurate for real gases than the ideal gas law.