Identify this piece of equipment?

In summary, the conversation reveals the discovery of a unique apparatus, similar to a cathode ray tube, but with a different internal structure. The group suspects it may be used for measuring the charge of an electron, but is unsure. Despite difficulty in finding information online, they learn that it is a Teltron tube, commonly used as a demonstration thermionic diode in educational settings.
NatFex
We were digging through some of the apparatus today and amongst a few dual beam tubes we found this, pictured below

2eqf0yf.jpg

Here's another one up close:
28cpkr7.jpg

It's very similar looking to a dual beam tube shape-wise but as you can see the internal structure is quite different. What is this? After looking at it for a while we suspect it might have to do with measuring the charge of an electron (a sort of revised Millikan experiment?) but we can't really tell

I've tried searching it up but as you can imagine I had a hard time describing it to a search engine without really knowing what it is, so that wasn't too useful.

Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Similar to a cathode ray tube.
I can not find that exact design but it seems they come in many different shapes, sizes and configurations.
cold cathode ray tube of sort.

Last edited:
I can imagine it sitting between pairs of Helmholtz coils as a demonstration of the Lorentz force or between electrostatically charged plates to demonstrate the Coulomb force or some combination, particularly if the gas in the tube glows when ionised.

It is a demonstration thermionic diode used in education.

What is this piece of equipment?

This is a piece of scientific equipment used for various purposes such as measuring, analyzing, or conducting experiments.

What is the function of this equipment?

The function of this equipment depends on its design and purpose, but it is typically used to collect data, perform experiments, or analyze samples.

How do I use this equipment?

The specific instructions for using this equipment can vary, but it is important to carefully read the user manual and follow all safety precautions. If you are unsure, consult with a trained professional or do further research.

What are the different parts of this equipment?

This equipment may have various components such as knobs, buttons, screens, and attachments. The specific parts and their functions will depend on the type of equipment.

Where can I find more information about this equipment?

You can find more information about this equipment by searching online, consulting scientific publications, or contacting the manufacturer. You can also ask a trained professional for guidance or attend workshops and training sessions on how to use this equipment.