1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying newtonian force pairs

1. Feb 12, 2016 #1

MBBphys

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,
    Regarding the idea of Newtonian force pairs, imagine a bottle resting on a table:
    Weight force exerted on bottle by Earth and normal contact force on bottle by table are not Newtonian force pairs because they are different types and act on the same object.
    Weight force exerted on bottle by Earth and weight force exerted on Earth by bottle are Newtonian forces.

So what Newtonian force pair includes the normal contact force on bottle by table? While making my notes, this is what I did not understand.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider the same interaction from the table's perspective.

4. Feb 12, 2016 #3
    Remember Newton's Third Law and apply it to the normal force. The table is exerting a normal force on the bottle, therefore....

5. Feb 12, 2016 #4
    The atoms that comprise solids have electron clouds which push on each other. So most such forces can be considered electromagnetic. One electron pushes and is pushed, creating a force pair.

The bottle's electrons push on the table's electrons and the table's electrons push on the bottle's electrons.

Electrons can also pull. The bottle has electron bonds that hold it together.

6. Feb 12, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the following, what are the two objects involved?

7. Feb 12, 2016 #6

MBBphys

Gold Member

Thank you! I got it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted