1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying the type/form for a Differential Equation

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the following Differential Equation, identify the type(separable, linear, exact, homogeneous, Bernoulli), then obtain a general solution with DERIVE

(2x+y+1)y'=1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm fairly certain that this is not a homogeneous or exact, but I cannot figure out which other form it could fit with.

I thought possibly linear, but only ended up with y' - 1/(2x+y+1)=0. I don't think p(x) can contain y so that would not fit the linear form. I think I need to rearrange some terms but I'm not entirely sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    The assignment is to learn how to use the Derive program properly, so I could easily use the "any first order DE" command to obtain a general solution, but that defeats the whole purpose.

At the moment I only know how to solve for separable, linear, exact, homogeneous, and bernoulli.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks to me like it's none of those. But I think it would become separable after a change of variable.

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Yeah, I just noticed that the first part is in Ax+By+c form so I think reduction to seperable variables will work.

I pretty sure I can solve it now, but the problem seems pointless for computer input, since I could solve it faster by hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook