Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Identifying the type/form for a Differential Equation

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the following Differential Equation, identify the type(separable, linear, exact, homogeneous, Bernoulli), then obtain a general solution with DERIVE

(2x+y+1)y'=1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm fairly certain that this is not a homogeneous or exact, but I cannot figure out which other form it could fit with.

I thought possibly linear, but only ended up with y' - 1/(2x+y+1)=0. I don't think p(x) can contain y so that would not fit the linear form. I think I need to rearrange some terms but I'm not entirely sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    The assignment is to learn how to use the Derive program properly, so I could easily use the "any first order DE" command to obtain a general solution, but that defeats the whole purpose.

At the moment I only know how to solve for separable, linear, exact, homogeneous, and bernoulli.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks to me like it's none of those. But I think it would become separable after a change of variable.

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Yeah, I just noticed that the first part is in Ax+By+c form so I think reduction to seperable variables will work.

I pretty sure I can solve it now, but the problem seems pointless for computer input, since I could solve it faster by hand.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook