Identity: arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Identity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 21K views
MathewsMD
Messages
430
Reaction score
7
I've been looking for this identity: arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)

After just visually inspecting this to be true, I have been unable to find any formal proofs for it.
Any references would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
I've been looking for this identity: arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)

After just visually inspecting this to be true, I have been unable to find any formal proofs for it.
Any references would be great!
The cotangent function is defined as the reciprocal of the tangent function.
 
The identity is true for positive values of ##x## but not for negative.

I would suggest starting from the definitions of those functions; [tex]y=\arctan x\iff \tan y=x \text{ and }y\in (-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] and [tex]y=\text{arc}\cot x\iff \cot y=x \text{ and }y\in (0,\pi)[/tex] along with the trig identity suggested by Chestermiller.
 
gopher_p said:
The identity is true for positive values of ##x## but not for negative.

I would suggest starting from the definitions of those functions; [tex]y=\arctan x\iff \tan y=x \text{ and }y\in (-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] and [tex]y=\text{arc}\cot x\iff \cot y=x \text{ and }y\in (0,\pi)[/tex] along with the trig identity suggested by Chestermiller.
Is there a reason cot and tan defined on different ranges?
 
Yes. Since tangent and arctangent are periodic functions, in order to talk about "well-defined" inverses (since [itex]tan(\pi/4)= tan(5\pi/4)= 1[/itex] should arctan(1) be [itex]\pi/4[/itex] or [itex]5\pi/4[/itex]?), we have to restrict the range of tangent and cotangent and so restrict the domain of arctangent and arccotangent. The usual convention is to restrict to the largest interval containing 0 on which the function is one-to-one. For the tangent that is [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Since [itex]cot(x)= tan(\pi/2- x)[/itex], the corresponding domain for cotangent is 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex].